Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop is plugged in, not charging, but the battery isn't depleting

HP Pavillion 15-p214dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't know If I'm posting to the right thread, but whatever.

As you can tell by the subject, my laptop is plugged in to a wall outlet, but it isn't charging, nor is the battery depleting when I use it. This problem only appeared some days ago. Below is a list of everything I have tried doing to fix this problem, as well as other information.

The wall outlet works fine, I plugged my phone into it and it started charging.

The computer doesn't recharge to a certain percentage, it just sustains the battery percentage it has while it's plugged in.

Uninstalling and Reinstalling Micorsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and Microsoft AC Adapter via the Device Manager did nothing, nor did installing new drivers for them.

Resetting the BIOS didn't help.

I checked to see if the battery was secure, so I removed it and made sure it was completely plugged in to the computer. It didn't help.

Shutting down the computer, unplugging everything, and holding down the power button for 40 seconds didn't work.

I can't and have never been able to turn on the computer without the battery, even if it's plugged in. The LED next to the charging port does blink three times when I try to turn on the computer without the battery while its plugged in, and it doesn't blink when it isn't plugged in, so it can't be a problem with the cord.

I checked if the physical connection between the charging port and the rest of the computer was secure, and it is.

I tried using another AC adapter to charge the computer, and nothing changed.

My laptop is not under warranty; It became void when I upgraded my RAM, and even if I didn't upgrade, the warranty would still be expired.

My BIOS is up to date.

I ran a diagnostic test on the battery, and it passed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

UPDATE: After charging my computer in a completely different location, it started charging, but the computer didn't recognise it and it has only gone up 2% over eight hours.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
432 430 36 61
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Tewson, Welcome to the HP Support Forum.

I understand you have issues with the Battery of your computer wherein it does not charge when the AC Adapter is connected. The Battery charge remains the same Even if the AC Adapter is connected to the computer.

I am not sure if you have updated the BIOS on the computer. Install the Latest BIOS update from the Drivers Page.

Link: Software and Driver Downloads

Once this is done, Calibrate and Run a test on the Battery. Here is the link which will help you with this.

Testing and Calibrating the Battery

If the battery test fails, you will have to replace the battery for your computer.

Hope this helps. If you need any further assistance do let me know.

Regards

MathewT

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
Tewson
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MathewT wrote:

@Tewson, Welcome to the HP Support Forum.

I understand you have issues with the Battery of your computer wherein it does not charge when the AC Adapter is connected. The Battery charge remains the same Even if the AC Adapter is connected to the computer.

I am not sure if you have updated the BIOS on the computer. Install the Latest BIOS update from the Drivers Page.

Link: Software and Driver Downloads

Once this is done, Calibrate and Run a test on the Battery. Here is the link which will help you with this.

Testing and Calibrating the Battery

If the battery test fails, you will have to replace the battery for your computer.

Hope this helps. If you need any further assistance do let me know.

Regards

MathewT

Thanks for the reply, Matthew.

I used my computer's built-in HP Support Assistant software to find a BIOS upate, and nothing came up. I then tested the battery as you said, and the test passed. Do you have anything else that can help me?

0 Kudos
Matembe
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same problem but it has been solved through the following steps
1. Shutdown the laptop, disconnect it from ac adapter and remove the battery.
2. Hold the power button for one minute, connect ac adapter and turn on your laptop (do not insert the battery)
3. Go to device manager>batteries (click on arrow to expand)>disable both Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery(right click and select disable)
4. Insert the battery ( do not turn off your laptop) at this step the battery icon will not be seen on notification icons.
5. Back to the 3rd step and enable the first Microsoft ACPI-...... at this step the battery icon will be seen on notification icons showing charging and the battery level (%) will increase

WOW THE PROBLEM SOLVED ON MY LAPTOP HP 6930p. TRY IT!!!!
0 Kudos
Wonthan
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Last night, my hp laptop's battery was 10%, I didn't charge it after that, I just turned it off and slept. This morning when I woke up and tried turn the laptop on, it wasn't getting turned on, probably because it had no power. After that I charged it and I turned it on while charging. The battery was around 10% when the current went off, I was charging my phone on the laptop through a usb during that time. The current didn't come for some 3 minutes. Right when the current came, the laptop got turned off. After that the laptop stopped charging, even when I plug in the adapter, the light near the charging point that's normally there whenever it charges does not appear. I have tried charging other laptops with my adapter, it works on other laptops. I have used other adapters on my laptop, it doesn't work at all. I have tried the whole battery thing too, where we take out the battery and turn on the laptop, it does not turn on at all. I don't know what to do, please help. I'm like too broke to repair it, and I really really need the laptop
0 Kudos
Wonthan
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Last night, my hp laptop's battery was 10%, I didn't charge it after that, I just turned it off and slept. This morning when I woke up and tried turn the laptop on, it wasn't getting turned on, probably because it had no power. After that I charged it and I turned it on while charging. The battery was around 10% when the current went off, I was charging my phone on the laptop through a usb during that time. The current didn't come for some 3 minutes. Right when the current came, the laptop got turned off. After that the laptop stopped charging, even when I plug in the adapter, the light near the charging point that's normally there whenever it charges does not appear. I have tried charging other laptops with my adapter, it works on other laptops. I have used other adapters on my laptop, it doesn't work at all. I have tried the whole battery thing too, where we take out the battery and turn on the laptop, it does not turn on at all. I don't know what to do, please help!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation