Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Example: PHP Notebook - 15-ac153s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I have a HP Notebook - 15-ac153sa with the Intel® Core™ i7-4510U with Intel HD Graphics 4400. I have an issue that it just shuts down randomly but only on maims power, its fine on the battery.
I have so far cleaned out the fan and heat sink, re seated the heat exchanger with new Kryonaut paste, replaced the battery, the charge socket and the AC adapter. It still does it on mains power and it does it a between 30 and 56 degrees C so its not overheating. The fan spins fine and free, I have also done a memory test which came out fine. I do run a EVO850 SSD in it and also checked out fine. Can anyone please help me as to what may cause this issue.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@rdgv350ypvs

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

BIOS default:

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

If the test passes, continue with these steps:

• 1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.
  • 2. Expand batteries.
  • 3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.
  • 4. Shut down the computer. 
  • 5. Disconnect the charger.
  • 6. Remove the battery.
  • 7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.
  • 8. Insert the battery only.
  • 9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution,

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I foolishly used Driver Booster to update drivers and in it was a bios update to a version F32, Yes it installed it and ever since I have had issues with my AC brick shutting down the laptop. I have tried all the press this and that buttons and a USB stick through UEFI  and it still will not change it. I get no sig file present yet the USB was made through HP Bios software, 
      Does anyone know if there is another way to rollback the bios as I fail to see why HP offers this in the interface yet it will not do it.

HP Recommended

@rdgv350ypvs

Thank you for posting back. 

Follow the below steps to perform BIOS recovery using a key press combination

1. Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.

2. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds.

Keyboard highlighting the key presses for BIOS recovery

3. Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows key and the V key. If the screen still does not display, your computer might not support the feature or there is a hard drive issue. Continue to the next section to Recover the BIOS using a USB recovery drive.

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi I believe the issue may be a Bios that should not have been installed on my laptop as it isnt a HP release. I keep getting an error message saying that the Bios I want to load is not intended for this machine, but I know it is because it came from HP. It is also locked so I cannot roll back the bios so unless there is some software out there that can unlock the bios I think This laptop is pretty much stuffed. I have tried all of the options to roll back that are all over the net and nothing works. I have no Advanced tab and nothing works to bring that up in Bios either.
      Thanks for your help buddy much appreciated.

HP Recommended

@rdgv350ypvs

Thank you for posting back.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I have a few more troubleshooting steps that we could try to fix the issue:  

• Let's remove the hard drive from the computer. Here is the link : Removing and Replacing the Base Enclosure
    Note: The computer model might be different in the article, however removing and replacing the part's procedure remains the same.
  • Once the hard drive is removed turn on the computer without the hard drive- While booting as the computer doesn’t detect a hard drive, so it’ll automatically roll back to the previous bios.
  • Put the HDD back in and turn it ON. It might give an error about improper shutdown. Just click continue and it should boot to windows.

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.