PermeableAxis5
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Laptop keeps flashing CAPS lock and screen is off

HP Recommended
HP DV6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hey! So I have an old laptop of the HP DV6 series and everything had been going good for months but I now have come across a problem. One day I had put the laptop to sleep mode and when I came and tried to turn it on it would just keep flashing CAPS lock and the screen would be off, completely black, no light whatsoever.

I looked online for some solutions and found out that it may be a GPU problem. I then decided to disassemble the whole laptop and then put it back on again, and then tried to turn it on but the problem still existed. I didn't want to give up so I looked online again and found someone saying it helped him by overheating the computer (I guess the overheating causes it to connect correctly to the GPU).

So I let mine overheat and to my surprise it turned on but I turned it off right away to let it cool down but the next time I tried to turn it on it would not turn on (same caps lock flashing problem).

This time I decided to disassemble the laptop again and see if anything was wrong inside but everything was correct, I took out the GPU and put it back again, took out the fan and tried turning it on and it did. Then I just reassembled everything and everything was working perfect again.

It worked perfectly for about one and a half month until I had the same issue again with the CAPS lock flashing no screen. I just let it overheat this time and it's working again but it is very laggy now.

My question is, by the looks of it it seems to be a GPU problem, can I do anything to permanently fix the problem or is the computer dying?

1 REPLY 1
Dudefoxlive
Level 9
1,335 1,294 83 174
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This usually indicates a Hardware fault.  but sense i am unable to test your hardware i am unable to determine where the fault lies.  try running the HP Diagnostics by pressing f2 on power up and testing your hardware.  

Please remember to select the answer
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation