Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-bc035nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! Since a couple of weeks my laptop only charges when shut down or in sleep mode. When I plug it in when it's turned on, the charging light turns orange and the battery icon says ''plugged in not charging" but after a few seconds the light turns white and the "plugged in not charging" disappears. Does anyone know what's wrong?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @Merry44,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I understand that you have issues with your battery charging only when its shutdown or in sleep mode and when it's on it says plugged in not charging. I'll be really happy to assist you with this.

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Have you ran the HP Support Assistant to aid with HP updates?

Here is a link to Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)  that may also help

Alternatively, try these steps:

The Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery is basically the driver that communicates between the computer and the battery. There is a chance that it is corrupted.

Step 1. Go to Device Manager
Step 2. Select Batteries
Step 3. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there
Step 4. Click Uninstall
Step 5. At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver
Step 6. Shutdown the computer

Step 7: Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in

When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.

Step 8. Go to Device Manager
Step 9. Select Batteries
Step 10. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there
Step 11. Click "Search automatically for updated driver software"

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
did not worked
HP Recommended

has anyone found a solution since? i'm facing the same problem...

HP Recommended

Hi @aleincerti,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! It's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the laptop is charging only when turned off.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the computer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to update the bios and the chipset driver from the below link and check.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your attention and time. I have already performed a few checks and tests. Please refer to this: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/issue-with-laptop-charging-whi...

The last time my computer was working fine was on 17th July. On that day, there were a few updates that WS wanted to instal (as it is regularly the case) and then the problem appeared.

Looking forward to finding a solution soon!

Thanks,

Ale

HP Recommended

Hi @aleincerti,

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you to update the bios and the chipset driver from the below link and check.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette again!

I ahve just tried but the mesage I receive is that to update the BIOS, I need to connect the AC... which I do but no power flows so the laptop does not 'feel' it.

I have restarted the computer now and nothing has changed 😞

I wonder whethere there is actually a solution... such a shame after not even 1 year.

Thanks,

Alessandra

HP Recommended

Hi @aleincerti,

I recommend you to contact phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to auto detects

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Solved 🙂  win 8.1  Well I just uninstalled the battery driver in control panel and it instantly started charging as normal.  haha

Happy days!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.