Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

My laptop has been overheating while gaming. GPU temperatures are fine but CPU hits 70°C after playing for like 10 minutes. After that CPU starts to thermal throttle (clockspeed drops from 3.1GHz to ~2.3GHz).

I have been trying to solve the issue with cooling pad and gaming next to an open window (-5°C outside) but the CPU still thermal throttles.

I think the problem here is that while cooled with external cooler the laptops fans barely spin at all. Does anyone know how to "fix" this? I have tried to control the fan speed with some software but it does't seem to work 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Begg1s,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Begg1s,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the laptop is overheating when gaming.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately neither method worked 😞

Computer still overheats after a while of gaming. I also tried cleaning the dust inside my laptop but that didn't solve the problem either.

HP Recommended

@Begg1s,

I recommend you run a system test on the computer to make sure that there is no hardware issue.

Follow the steps in the below article to run the system test.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran the tests and it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

HP Recommended

@Begg1s,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will try that.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Begg1s Alright, keep us posted,

If you need anything else.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.