Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 8 (258 Views)

Laptop plugged in and charging, but not charging

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Envy DV7 7270ca
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I found out yesterday morning that for some reason, the battery on my laptop isn't charging. I'm staying at my mother's house for the weekend and since then the problem has occured. At home, it always charged properly and never gave me any problems. 

Could I need a new battery? I've tried going to Device Manager and uninstalling and re-installing drivers and the whole 9 yards, yet the problem still persists.

Thank you in advance

Edit:  I tried the battery test from the F2 menu when it boots up and it passed. I took out the battery and plugged it straight into the mains and it stayed on. I genuinely don't know where the problem is coming from and I'm at a loss for words.

0 Kudos
PhD Student
Message 2 of 8 (230 Views)

Re: Laptop plugged in and charging, but not charging

Hi,

Kindly follow these steps carefully..

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/windows-10-update-prevents-batt...

Again follow the step by step guide..

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

I worked on behalf of HP
Tutor
Message 3 of 8 (216 Views)

Thank you, but unfortunately, neither of them worked. Still stuck at 27% battery. Plugged in, charging, but it isn't charging. 

PhD Student
Message 4 of 8 (208 Views)

kikkilinu wrote:

Thank you, but unfortunately, neither of them worked. Still stuck at 27% battery. Plugged in, charging, but it isn't charging. 

Hi,

When you hover your mouse cursor to the battery icon? What does it say? "Plugged in not charging"?

If the first method didnt work then try to update the BIOS

Updating the BIOS

Requirements:

-The computer should be plugged in to an AC Adapter

-Password if any should be deactivated

STEPS: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629

How to deactivate the password temporarily?

-Go to RUN command by pressing windows key then letter R

-Type netplwiz

-Uncheck the box. Note: Dont mind about the user if you dont see your name

-Type in the password.

Hope it helps.

If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

I worked on behalf of HP
Tutor
Message 5 of 8 (202 Views)

It says, "Plugged in, charging" (but it's not charging of course, it's been at 27% since yesterday and been plugged in the whole time) and I believe the BIOS has been updated as it restarted my laptop and everything. Is there a way I could check whether or not the BIOS really has been updated please?

PhD Student
Message 6 of 8 (190 Views)

Hi,

In order for you to check the BIOS of your computer press the windows button then start typing RUN. Click Run Desktop App then type dxdiag. If prompted click Yes then look for BIOS. Take note of the version then go to hp's website. Click Software and drivers then click Go.

Scroll down to BIOS then make a comparison.

Hope it helps.

I worked on behalf of HP
Tutor
Message 7 of 8 (173 Views)

Right, to sum up the things I've done so far, here goes:

Plugged the AC cable in and out multiple times to see if there would be a different result. There wasn't.

Done the battery test diagnostic and it passed.

Ran the laptop on AC power directly and it worked.

Updated the BIOS.

Gone to Device Manager and deleted the ACPI or whatever it's called and re-installed it, battery charger does the animation for a few seconds and then it stops again, leaving my battery at 27% as it has been for the past few days, while claiming that my laptop is plugged in and charging.

Battery doesn't get warm at all. 

Scanned my computer for any possible viruses and such and all came back clear. 

I'm at a loss for words.

PhD Student
Message 8 of 8 (168 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for letting us know about the progress. Kindly call hp support and ask for motherboard replacement

HP SUPPORT: 1800 474 6836

Regards.

I worked on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation