Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
db0004la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, Im having an issue with this laptop that I have never seen.

Basically this laptop charges properly, but when pressing the power button the power led on the right side turns on for like 5 seconds and then turn off again. The fan does not spin when this happens and neither the hard drive spins and this happens either powering it up from the battery or with the power supply.

I have tried with another power supply but the results are the same. I also read that sometimes laptops need to be discharged and since my laptop has an internal battery I had to remove the bottom cover to be able to remove it. After 5 minutes of pushing down the power button, it still did not worked.

I left the laptop untouched for like 15 minutes, I tried to turn it on and it worked with 0 issues. But the next day it did not worked again. Then again I doubt its a discharge issue because one of the times I removed the bottom case, I got called before removing the battery and got away for like 10 minutes. When I came back, I tried to power it up again just to try it and it powered it up without issues. This with the battery still in its place and with charge.

Any idea of what could be causing the issue? Its being really annoying if I have to do all this routine daily.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @alphonse03 

Press the power button  and immediately tap the F2 button to invoke the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI. 

I suggest running the  full system test, then  select component tests  to run the battery test and memory  test to see if any specific diagnostic error messages show up.

The  most recent UEFI BIOS also have the Symptom tests and #7ijn the list is likely to fit your reported issue.

Any of those hardware items can cause the issue you are seeing

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico thanks for reading my post.

Taking advantage that right now its starting normally Im going to try this and come back with the results then. I didnt knew of the existence of that diagnostics settings at all!

Seems that the full test is going to take quite a while (3 hours), but so far in what I assume it was the battery test it says:  

Battery check: Primary - Callibration Required (20)

Sounds kinda bad.

HP Recommended

Hi. We are here to help.

That error means most likely that your notebook's  battery wil need to be replaced. 

Here is an HP document that goes over how to manually calibrate the battery.

https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/ish_2268927-1713329-16

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks again. Im going to try the calibration and report back, but it will take a while for what I can see. Also I noticed that the issue appears when I leave the laptop plugged after a couple of hours, so indeed might be the battery causing the issue. 

Maybe overcharging the motherboard because of the battery not being calibrated properly? 

HP Recommended

I don't believe that would be the issue if the battery has been providing 2+ years of service life to the notebook.

Calibrating the battery is just setting the new "fully charged" storage capacity.

However, if the new "fully charged" storage capacity is extremely low, there will still be shutdowns and replacement would be the only viable solution.

I would just  run the full battery test to find out how much of a difference there is between the original design capacity and the maximum current storage capacity. The battery test will provide those numbers.

The Windows operating system also has the ability to provide detailed information on the battery.

Here is a hyperlink to  an article which explains how to check your notebook's battery health.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-check-your-laptops-battery-health-in-windows-10

HP Recommended

Hi again. Im sorry for taking your time for this.

I did as the manual said, let it drain with the memory test, then let it rest for 6 hours and then let it charge until it was full. But then it did it again (power led turns on just for a couple of seconds and no fan spinning).

I removed the battery, pressed the power button to discharge the motherboard and it worked again. Plugged again the battery and ran the battery test. This time I got a different error:

Battery check: Primary - Weak (30)

Logic state - weak (30), Charge state (not available)

And a failure ID

Its weird because even if it had that issue the battery was still giving like two hours of juice. This time Im going to try without the battery plugged at all and see if it does it again tomorrow.

HP Recommended

Hi @alphonse03 

The battery is pretty much dead.

That is what the result of the test( (Weak (30)) told you.

There is nothing you can do besides repolace the battery with a new one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.