Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hp Pavilion Gaming laptop Model 15-ec0xxx 

When you shut it off the power light stays on. Takes 30 or more minutes before shut down.  I would also like to know how to set my keyboard backlight to say on longer or not time out. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Alchemist16AD Did you check power options and ensure the PC isn't set to hibernate or sleep instead of shutdown under choose what the power button does?

Have you disabled hybrid sleep from the power options > advanced options?

While you respond to that, here are a few other things that should resolve the issue:

First, hold down the power button for 10 seconds before releasing it.

Press the power button and see if the notebook now starts.

If it does, let it fully load into Windows and then try disabling Windows 10 hybrid boot - you can do this as follows.

Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left-hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first, click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and shut down the notebook by right click the Start Menu icon, select Command Prompt (Admin) and click ‘Yes’ to the UAC prompt.

Type ( or copy and paste ) in the following command ( including spaces ) and hit enter.

shutdown /s /t 0

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load for a couple of minutes before checking if it will now shut down correctly from the Start Menu.

If this has corrected the issue, it may be worth turning Fast Start-up back on – sometimes just deleting and recreating the file will resolve the problem.

If the issue (with the sleep & hibernation) persists: CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I have tried all those things. Plus when my computer does sleep (when put into sleep mode) the power button flashes. This is a solid color like it is when it's on. I talked to a person via chat and he had no clue how to fix it either after I tried everything you suggested. He said to come here and look and if that doesn't solve it then I may need to send my laptop in.  My next step is to reinstall windows because when I first got the computer it didn't do this. 

My other problem is the keyboard light. I need it to stay on. Or at least stay on longer. I work in very dark rooms the selling part of the computer was a backlit keyboard. However, it only stays on when typing then goes off. 

HP Recommended

@Alchemist16AD I suggest you backup all your personal data into an external storage device before reinstalling windows, that said, I hope you know that not all keyboards have an option to use the timeout feature by design, that's only available on limited devices, that said, here's all you need to know about using the backlight of your keyboard:

Toggle backlight settings:

If your notebook computer has a backlit keyboard, press the F5 or F4 (some models) key on the keyboard to turn the light on or off. It might be necessary to press the fn (function) key at the same time.

If the backlight icon  is not on the F5 key, look for the backlit keyboard key on the row of function keys.

Backlit keyboard key and fn keys highlighted

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I asked about the keyboard before I bought the laptop and was told I would have the ability to leave it on or off or have it time out.  I think I may just give this one to someone in my class and buy a Razer. Thanks for all the help. 

Take care

HP Recommended

@Alchemist16AD If you have been told that the laptop has the ability to do that, please use the link and the instructions to toggle the same, if that isn't working, and it did previously, this could be a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.