Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop shutdown randomly after 60 per cent battery left

15 bg004au
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I am using HP 15 Notebook PC.

It has been only one and half year to my laptop but its battery is not working anymore. It all started with very strange problem when its battery started showing 0% and still running and then it didn’t support charging either and later became dead.

Now I have replaced its battery but still a new problem of sudden shutdown I am facing in my laptop.-Battery suddenly discharged at 50-70% and then laptop starts only after connecting adapter.

Also when I connect adapter, after few minute or so it stops charging and start after one minute. This happens frequently and it takes so much time to charge only 25 % battery from 75 to 100% because battery usually shuts at 50-70% as I said earlier.

Presently in Battery test it showing 49 cycles

I have tried uninstallation of drivers like in device manager( updating, uninstalling etc.) and battery check hard disk check and all other checks. Everything is showing ok.

But nothing is working. It still shutdown at 70% and now i am using adapter after every 25% battery drain means after half hour battery backup only.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,027 17,551 1,280 1,912
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @Animesh_Tiwary,

Are you using an HP genuine battery and AC adapter?

Were there any recent windows update on the PC?

Try updating the BIOS to the latest version.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Disable Fast Startup

Right-click Start and open Power Options.
In Power Options settings click on Choose what the powers buttons do option in the left panel.
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable option.
Under Shut down settings, remove the tick from Turn on fast startup (recommended).
Click OK to save the changes.

Check the BIOS to confirm the setting is set to Full Charge, if it is not, change the BIOS setting to Full Charge.

Power on the unit.
Press F10 to enter the BIOS.
Select the Power option. 

Full Charge: The battery charge stops at 91~100%. 
Extended Life of Battery Pack: The battery charge stops at 76~80%. 
Optimize Life of Battery Pack: The battery charge stops at 46~50%. 

Save changes and exit the BIOS.

Run Power Troubleshooter.

On Cortana, enter  Troubleshooter then select Troubleshooting.
Click Improve power usage to open the window, then click Next. 
This should run the troubleshooter and can fix any detected issues. You may try restarting your computer and charge your battery again.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Animesh_Tiwary Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried the steps suggested by you. However, it didn't solved my problem. Then, I diagonosed the battery using troubleshooter which displayed the result as battery to be OK. However, I switched my battery in another HP notebook, the same problem persisted in that too. Therefore, I got a new battery in my notebook which seems to have solved my problem.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,027 17,551 1,280 1,912
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @Animesh_Tiwary,

Thanks for the update and I'm happy to know after switching the batteries you found out it was a faulty battery and you replaced it.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, please write back to us. 

We will try our best to help you out.

Take Care! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation