02-18-2017 07:27 PM
My laptop shuts down suddenly and I think it is either because of static electricity, cooling fan not working and unit shuts down because of over heating or both. In addition this laptop has terrible wifi reception. I have an old Dell Inspirion unit with Windows XP that still works and has great wifi reception. Anyway for the static electricity I think the problem is in the circuit between the ground connection between the computer (outside cylinder of male pin plug) pin and the electric ground pin of the plug to the wall receptacle. With the Dell laptop I get 0 resistance (using ohmmeter) across them. But with the HP I get anout 1 ohm and the resistance is in the transformer.
With regards the overheating I used a vacuum cleaner with wand attachment to try to suck out dirt/lint through the fan discharge. Also I added rubber bump pads (sticking them with contact cement) to lift the bottom up higher to make it easier for cooling air to enter the bottom air intakes. I did not want to open up the unit. I saw how complicated it is from YouTube videos. I heard Dell laptops are easier to get into.
The CD/DVD cover on the laptop will not open. I have to insert a wire through the hole near the button to open it.
Alsio this laptop is super slow yet it has a i7-4710HQ CPU! HP this laptop sucks!
02-19-2017 01:50 PM
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,
I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.
They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.
Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).
If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.
I am an HP Employee