Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-ae1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 3 year old HP Envy 17-ae1xx. Windows 10, fully updated.

It shuts down when the charger is plugged in. It shuts down a few minutes after I plug my USB wireless headphones in a USB ports on the left side. It shuts down immediately if I plug in my USB laptop cooler.

So far I've tried:

Replacing the charger with a new one,

Uninstalling the USB drivers and allowing windows to reinstall them on the next start up.

Running a core temp monitor app to see if it is overheating, normally the cores are around 110F-120F, but can peak up to 210F briefly when performing a more intense operation.

I took it to a service tech who opened it up and replaced the thermal paste on the CPUs because it was dried up. He could replicate the shut down problem with the charger, but not the USB ports, but he didn't have the new charger yet since it hadn't arrived.

He couldn't figure it out, so where do I start trying to diagnose this problem? Could it be the battery? It lasts 1.5-2 hours without being plugged in. I can only charger my laptop while it is off. Could it be the power supply? Do laptops even have power supplies or just batteries? What should I look for in event viewer? There are some errors and warnings:

"The previous system shutdown at 8:41:46 PM on ‎1/‎26/‎2021 was unexpected."

"The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."

"Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service HidUsb for Device Instance ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C52B&MI_00\6&1A713916&0&0000 with the following status: 0."

"NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on 'time windows com ,0x9'. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9)"

"The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode. The minimum required supported state mask is 0x2491f7fffff, got 0xffffffff. Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available."

"The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device {DD8E82AE-334B-49A2-AEAE-AEB0FD5C40DD}\DetectionVerification\5&32eca33b&0&0."

There are others. Anyone have any clue what might be going on? Also, this problem came on suddenly. There was no gradual build up to the problem. My laptop was fine one minute and then the next it was like this. I'd appreciate any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yeah, no thanks. I'm not going to send you people my laptop so you can charge me $400 to spend 6-8 weeks doing a diagnostic only to tell me that the motherboard is going bad and needs to be replaced for $300. I've heard that HP uses cheap motherboards and now my laptop is pretty much **bleep**ed because of it. A $1000 laptop should last a lot longer that 3 years. This will be my last HP product unless you people decide to do what is right and stand behind your **bleep**ty product, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I'm still in need of help with this problem. My $1000 laptop has basically be rendered useless now and if there is no way to fix this it will be the last HP product that I ever purchase.

HP Recommended

@jbear0000

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. ​​​​​​HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yeah, no thanks. I'm not going to send you people my laptop so you can charge me $400 to spend 6-8 weeks doing a diagnostic only to tell me that the motherboard is going bad and needs to be replaced for $300. I've heard that HP uses cheap motherboards and now my laptop is pretty much **bleep**ed because of it. A $1000 laptop should last a lot longer that 3 years. This will be my last HP product unless you people decide to do what is right and stand behind your **bleep**ty product, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.