Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop sparked, sizzled, and charging port no longer works

HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I'm new here and hoping this is the right place to figure out what to do next. 

I have the HP Spectre x360 laptop. According to the warranty checker, the warranty expired on May 11, 2016.

When travelling to Taiwan recently, I had the laptop plugged into the wall socket directly to charge. The socket and voltage in Taiwan is the same as in the USA. There was a spark and some smoke coming from the rear of the laptop and after that the charging port no longer works. As I understand, most everything is built into the board so if there's anything that needs to be repaired/replaced it could get pricey. Or since I'm out of warranty is repair not even an option and I just have to take it as a loss? 

Appreciate any help you can share. Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Retired Omar-E
Retired
10,015 6,596 119 419
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@chansjsu

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
12 10 0 15
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

chansjsu

I experienced a motherboard failure of the same kind two days ago in my Specre, also a few months beyond the warranty period.  This issue is all over the forum and I'm becoming worried that HP may leave it's patrons in the cold rather than step up and rectify their design flaw.  I've gotten a few cookie-cutter assurances that my problem was being passed along to the "right people" (like you did), but we'll see.  I haven't read a satisfied resolution to this problem yet in the posts.

When I checked their parts website, I saw that they are out of this motherboard and that there is a backlog of orders for it.  That suggests there are a bunch of these things failing out there.  If they won't stand behind their name and offer to replace the motherboards for free with one's that won't fail, or offer our money back, I'm wondering if this may constitute an actionable problem on their part.

0 Kudos
chansjsu Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was surprised, I actually got a call shortly after my info was passed along and they quickly sent me a package to ship the laptop to them at no charge. It seems like they're doing the right thing and standing by the product!

I'm guessing any repairs might take a while though, so it's an inconvenience if you need a replacement right away. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
12 10 0 15
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's encouraging!  I'm glad to hear it.  I haven't had them get in touch with me, yet, but that gives me some hope.

0 Kudos
chansjsu Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This was my old thread and since I had been contacted by HP, they were pretty quick to help me with my laptop repair. I got it back and it was working good for a while, but recently I've been experiencing another problem. The screen would sometimes freeze and get these purple streaks. I try moving the screen back and forth on the swivel and that seems to unfreeze it. It seems like maybe the connection along the hinge may be loose or bad. Has anyone seen this happen before? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Retired Duane_D
Retired
4,641 3,064 51 154
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation