Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-e016tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My laptop is 6 years old. But it was running very smoothly until recently when it shut down abruptly in thermal shutdown. I cleaned the fan and vents. But still the problem persists. It starts normally but after some 5 minutes, it shutdown suddenly. Temperature shows 90D. One strange thing is that upon touching the laptop it doesn't feel like hot or high temperature. What should I do?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@dntwk Welcome to HP Community!

To resolve issues such as system temperature - 90D:

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS
  • Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean
  • Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat
  • Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes
  • Selecting power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

((Though the header is different or the link is for another device, the steps to follow will help resolve your concern & By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved))

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Now the laptop isn't starting at all. When I press the power button, power and keyboard led gets lighted but as soon as it shows hp logo, the laptop shuts down completely. No error message or anything at all. It just completely switched off. I have tried removing the battery and then pressing power button for 15 seconds as I have read somewhere here in hp forum. But it didn't work. In this condition, how would I update bios? How would I change power settings? I just can't do anything. And let me stress here that the laptop is cool. Not any kind of heat at all. My warranty has expired in 2016. What should I do?

HP Recommended

@dntwk If you've done the hard/power reset by removing the battery and holding the power button for a few seconds and yet the device is no longer booting into windows, you may want to attempt a BIOS Recovery using the steps mentioned in this link: Click here,

And when the device turns on, try the below steps to try running an extensive hardware test on the device:

This works only when you've installed the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello! Thank you for your constant support. But I am unable to recover the BIOS. Now the laptop is having a new problem. When I plug in the adapter, charging light glows bright white but as soon as I press the power ON button, the charging light gets dim and starts flashing continuously and the laptop never gets ON. This is a completely new issue. It wasn't there even yesterday. So, I am unable to perform any of the three BIOS recovery options as all of them require pressing power button for 2 to 3 seconds. I have tried removing the battery also but in vain. Battery seems to be completely discharged. I have also tried charging the battery but it seems it is not charging.

What to do now? Is my ac adapter damaged? Or battery? Or, are both of them damaged?? Please advice. 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@dntwk

Appreciate you trying the steps. This looks like a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@asmita6658

Can you give me contact number of support agents in india? It's not available on website.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.