Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi, Steve:

Good luck with your project!

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks, it is n interesting journey and quick info for you ...

Optane device installed was single key as was the connector, I verified by single key it is indeed M key so the new Optane/NVME should go in problem.  32 GB memory @3200 looks great on external video but built in laptop screen excessively bright.  Clock seems to be running about 2700 more or less.  Tried backing away from the upgrade and even after re-installing the 4 GB memory on restart the issue is still there but external is flawless.  May exchange the 3200's for 28 or 26 cycle mems but the external video and system performance is amazing.  Upticked the SATA drive with a 500 GB Samsung as a temporary boot device until I get the 32/1TB NVME  Tuesday.  First order of business once installed is to load and boot an O/S.  All system software sees the 32GB memory pool and Intel tacks the Optane component into the Memory pool so making progress there informationally as it tells me that It works as it should. Extending the Memory pool installed with the Optane providing punch as it is a storage device and maintains permanent stored elements  which could include the O/S and more removing that traffic except as a  "Memory Execute" in the Optane (persistent Memory) model

More to follow, it is quite fascinating and fun

Cheers

Steve

HP Recommended

Hi, Steve:

I don't understand how the memory can be running that fast.

Your notebook's processor can only run memory at a max speed of 2133 MHz.

Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)

Not sure why the notebook's display brightness would have changed...

HP Recommended

When I run Intel  programs like Video it tells me the clock speed that it is encountering and that is what I am sharing, more than 1 has told me that I am pretty much at 2.7 across the board.  I am running the 3200 Mhz 16 GB memory elements and they are picked up and reported on by all of them seeing the full 32 MB across 2 16GB modules and using it.

The brightness issue is isolated to the built in display the external via HDMI is perfect.  Amazon has indicated they will swap the ones I have with an alternative but the issue with Video is strictly internal on the laptop screen.  As I stated before even if I remove the 32 GB of memory and return to the 4GB module I started with the video problem persists so it may be ending up as a desktop for a while driving the big monitor (43") TCL TV via HDMI & ARC

More components this week specifically the H10 module which shows a lot of promise and I may also try the Addlink NVME S70 in the NVME slot.  Even if it works the Optane enabled drive will only use the Optane side in an Intel based device and my other system is AMD

But it is fast even with just the 500GB Samsung SATA SSD and 32GB ram

More as it occurs

All the best

Cheers 

HP Recommended

Quick update on clock speed the original RAM I swapped out was a 4GB module rated at 2666MHz which falls in line with the 2.71 clock the system is running at and 3200Mhz 16 GB modules.

I know what the book says but here on the bench this is reality, I may get 32GB of that speed memory (2666) and run it as a test of overall performance from startup to run rate

Cheers

Steve

HP Recommended

OK so I worked out the high luminance on the built in screen using the Intel display tool and it looks normal again!

Tried the Intel SSD and Optane 32 GB and no joy as it was not happy in a UEFI environment so it goes back to the vendor and i move on to a UEFI capable device like the Samsung 9XX series as the potential lead pony in the parade with the Samsung 500GB hanging off the SATA where it is and runs great.  The 32 GB of Ram per the config response even at 3200Mhz is flawless and after a simple fix for the built in I am back on track minus the Optane fiasco.  I rebuilt an HP Envy with a limit of 16GB of ram and used space on the Samsung SSD off the Sata channel as swap file of 32 GB and it flies both from the SATA drive and the swap file from it and the 16GB memory internal.  From login to running is around 6 seconds and you cannot slow it down.

More as I get my NVME drive installed and migrate the O/S to it

BTW System Clock is steady at 2.71 no matter how I look at it, considering trying  2666Mhz ram as it is just below the clock and I noted on Prime video some segmenting (double paint) of some playback I have not seen elsewhere

Hope all is well

Cheers

Steve

HP Recommended

That's great news, Steve.

Glad things are progressing along. 

HP Recommended

Quick updates on the Project...

The Laptop at the center of this exercise had an option for a CD/DVD but the model I bought did not have the drive.  But when the covers came off it revealed a secret and the answer to why Optane shows an open port in the system.  It was the one that was meant for the Optical but was never utilized.  It is a SATA port equal to the one the boot drive is in now, Slimline SATA they call it.  Waiting on a cable for the smaller connector on the Mobo  and the other end is SATA just like the main drive is in now but smaller.

Got a brand new H10 32GB Optane 512GB SSD and have done extensive research into initiating the H10 as the boot device and the 32 GB Optane component managing all of the storage as a volume or potentially plural.  If  I do it right at the end it will be this:

32 GB Main Memory

32 GB Optane Memory

512GB SSD NVME w/Optane (Upgrade)

1 TB SSD 2.5" Samsung (Upgrade)

500 GB Samsung SSD 2.5" (Existing Boot Drive)

May fit in a standard NVME 1 TB drive Addlink S70 1TB I have in another system in place of the Optane model to judge standard model capability with a non Optane enhanced component.  At the end of the day I want the NVME device as the primary and will be adding a Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb or possibly the Addlink S90.  Both of these devices are 4 level capable even if the systems they will be in at first are not so they will move on post test.

Cheers!

IMG_20210811_121232599.jpg

HP Recommended

NIce!

HP Recommended

It’s normal. Gaming laptops have no staying power whatsoever. Brand new my old gaming laptop, a Lenovo Y510p (had a GT755m Sli GPU) lasted for about 2 hours on battery power.

As the years went by that became closer to 1 hour. Today it can’t last playing a game for more than 40 minutes.

Gaming laptops aren’t built for battery power. They are made to be a powerful (relative to other laptops anyway) gaming rig that you can take with you anywhere… hopefully with a wall socket nearby.

It is worth noting that you will never get the full performance from your gaming laptop on battery power. Gaming laptops in general are designed to work from the wall outlet. If you remove the power and run on batteries, the dedicated GPU will actually switch off and you’ll be running on integrated graphics — which is a huge dip in performance. No laptop battery can power an actual discrete GPU and run it and the CPU on full performance for more than half an hour or so.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.