Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and could not fix it.  Any help would be appreciated from anybody as warranty has expired.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Max58

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Reinstalling Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

Restart the computer and check.

If the issue persists, I recommend you update the BIOS from this link, enter your Product number or name.

Also, Click here to run a battery test on the PC.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@MNSV

To assist you better please provide me with the complete Notebook Model or the Product Number

You can refer to this Link: hp.care/2bygf7l for help in locating the Product Number.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

The laptop is HP ProBook 470 G4

ProdID 1JR87UT#ABA

A better description of the problem is that if the laptop is booted up or on in any way for that matter, and I then plug in the charger, the laptop immediately freezes and stops working.

But if I turn off the laptop completely, I am able to plug in the charger and it will charge normally.

This means that I can NEVER plug in the charger at any time while the laptop is on, booting up, or running Windows in whatever state it might be in. The charger causes a total freeze up of the operating system. 

I read somewhere on the web that if I take out the battery, and disassemble the unit down to some level, I forgot how much (it's been a long time since I read it), then I reassemble it, and the laptop will work normally again. I started to try it, but it was too complicated, and I didn't have patience to finish it, so it is currently in the same bad state it's been in almost since I bought it. The Good news: I now only buy Dell computers, and will never buy HP again. I've been burned too many times by your junk.

HP Recommended

@Max58

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Reinstalling Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

Restart the computer and check.

If the issue persists, I recommend you update the BIOS from this link, enter your Product number or name.

Also, Click here to run a battery test on the PC.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you! The updated BIOS fixed the problem. Uninstalling the battery device did nothing. 

So glad to see this problem go away.

HP Recommended

@Max58

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Note book Sr # CND6412TPN  and Product # Z4L84UA#ABA

HP Recommended

I followed your directions and restarted the computer with same issue.  I have updated the bios too.  Nothing seems to help me.  My battery charges fine when in sleep mode or computer is fully off.  It is not sensing the power adapter only when computer is on.  Any further help will be greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

Did the battery check test too, but here is the message as adapter is in but computer does not recognize it.

HPBC.PNG

HP Recommended

You have a different problem than my laptop did. My laptop froze up anytime the charger was connected. You seem to be saying that it is just not sensing the adapter when it is plugged in. Big difference. 

I would only say double check the HP site for the latest BIOS update, and make sure you have it installed. Other than that, I have no other ideas. Good hunting

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.