Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j023cl N
Windows 8.1

I didn't really notice this problem until a few months after having this computer. I have been making bi-weekly payments on this wonderful laptop since fall of last year through a local Circuit World. I soon started to notice that even if I opened the laptop slowly or gently, there was this awful cracking noise coming from the computer. I had gotten used to it and assumed it was a minor thing, as I have experienced with other laptops in the past. It wasn't until I had run my hand over the left corner of the laptop that I noticed that the bottom cover had been starting to "pop out" or at least not connect itself correctly to the top cover as the right side did. 

tumblr_ni588rP2qD1u7t9rdo1_1280.jpg

I have never once damaged this laptop via tossing, dropping or rough handling. This computer is very expensive and takes a lot from my budget, so I have made sure to take the most absolute delicate care of this computer, including handling and virus protection. 

Unfortunately, with this computer now being excessively harder to open than it should, and the damage that I'm afraid this left hinge is causing, it has become more than just a "little" problem to me, and I fear that it will only worsen over time. I've noticed that in another forum, a customer had their HP ENVY replaced, but I'm wary that I cannot recieve the same treatment because of my purchase throught Circuit World. 
I will talk to the employees at Circuit World about getting it fixed or getting a replacement if that applies to me, but for now I'm looking to see if there is a simple, easy fix to this problem, at least one that could save time or money because the left hinge problem seems relatively easy to fix, I'm just not going to take chances with damages to my own computer. This also seems to be a problem that isn't solely happening to me, but very many other HP ENVY 17 owners. Thank you!

137 REPLIES 137
HP Recommended

@naginsthelich ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.
If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-to-check-your-messages/t...

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

HP Envy 15, J115TX....thats what I own and after 4 months exactly same issue...its ebing repaired though under warranty.

Hint: this issue can re-surface again. its a very poor hinge design.

i dont know what im goign to do when mine comes back from repair...may be sell it as still new and save me from the horror of contacting the unimpressive support. love this laptop otherwise but now HP is off my list forever.

HP Recommended

@D5GR,

I have the same, exact problem, which occured few days ago. My HP Envy has not even 10 months and the left hinge is loose now. Could you please help me fix that issue?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @Miroslaw ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

This just started happening to mine too! I have never dropped it or treated it roughly. It never leaves my house. Just normal usage. If this is happening to other people a lot (as it seems to be), I feel like HP should fix it for free due to poor design. What's going on? 

HP Recommended

Hi @praesignis ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I am having the EXACT same issue.... HP wants to charge me over 200 to get it fixed. Have you had any luck?

HP Recommended

Hi

This is exactly the problem I am starting to have with my Envy laptop, and the reason I came across this thread, as I was looking for answers to how the Left Hinge could just fail without any incident.

Each time I open the laptop I can feel the case on the left side being forced apart, then the LH side of the screen is slightly lower than the RH side and the two case halves have a 2.5mm gap between them.

HP Recommended

Hi @NickBear , @Taylor2795  ,

Regards,
George

I work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.