Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Same here!!!  Why isn't HP "recalling" their poorly designed hinge???  Anyone call HP???  I'm going to...800-752-0900.  I'd recommend doing the same.  Plus I think I'll call my Channel 9 News to report this to them.  Best wishes everyone!!!

HP Recommended
Hello @SandyK2

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicaly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you have already resolved your matters, please disregard this message. 

Thank you 
Duane_D
I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended

It does not appear that HP is doing anything about their design flaw, correct?

HP Recommended

nopes

HP Recommended

I gave up. The only good part in this thing was beats audio hardware.

I had mine fixed in warranty period and got rid of it.

HP Recommended

Hello.   This post is because I’m mad at HP.  But I hope you find it useful anyway, sour grapes and all.

To those having issues with HP hinges, on the Envy laptops, in particular, please know that you are not alone.  Hundreds and likely thousands of these laptops have failed at the hinges, causing a separation of the two half of the lower case.  This can affect the fan, and sometimes results in a failure to boot.  Based on the number of cases reported here and across the web, it is 100% clear to any logical person that this is a design flaw, and one  of which HP is 100% aware. 

What will HP do?  If you’re in warranty, HP will fix your computer and do so promptly and with excellent customer service.  If you warranty has expired, they will call it “normal wear and tear from use” and try to charge you their full repair cost to fix it.  This is where I ended up as well.  (I had mine fixed under warranty at 8 months, then it failed again after another 8 months, and they made me pay!  I hope they are happy with that $140!)   What all this means, is…. They are PROFITING from fixing their own design flaw.  Despicable them.

My story can be read here… I’m updating with info as I progress….  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Defective-Hinges-on-HP-Laptops-Envy/m-p/5337134/highl...

If you get your laptop fixed…   I was told they are installing a newly designed hinge as a replacement, and the problem should not repeat.  Others were not told this… again, no consistency from HP… just smoke and confusion.  If I get word that the replacement I’m getting is different, I’ll update my thread, above.

If you have to pay because you are out of warranty…..   be aware that the reps at HP seem to pick at random what they will do for people.  Some are quoted nearly $300.  Others are offered, as I was, $229 to start with.  I complained heartily and it was reduced first to around $180 and then to what I was told was the absolute lowest… $140 after taxes.  This is where I stopped and agreed (begrudgingly) to pay.  If I was going to pay that to them, to fix their own problem, I vowed to take that much or more out of their coffers by educating others about the tissue, and steering anyone I can away from HP.  I hope this info helps some other looking for help… and I encourage all to keep posting the results you get when you complain.

To HP….  Take care of your customers.  At the VERY LEAST, this should be an at-cost repair… not something you PROFIT from.  It is YOUR design flaw.  If you’re half the company you claim to be, you would be fixing it at no charge and keeping anyone with the issue informed.

HP Recommended

My laptop is about a year and a half old and is doing the exact same thing. It looks identical to that picture. How much were you charged to get it fixed and how long did the repair process take? 

HP Recommended

@mewilliams95

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Same problem here and my laptop is out of warranty. Are there any options available? A larger screw to secure the lower part of the cover? The problem as I see it is that the portion of the cover on the left side where the screw is inserted is too thin and that allows the screw to pull through the cover. 

Please help - I have been pleased with the computer otherwise. 

HP Recommended

Same here. Exact same problem as the picture. Brutal.

HP , I am very dissapointed that you did not recall this obvious design flaw.

Send me the new hinge and I will right your wrong.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.