cancel
Chrisharper31 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Left something cold on top of closed laptop... Help

I went to the grocery store and brought all the groceries in. Didn't realize my wife took out her laptop and left it on the table. I put the groceries on top of her laptop like an idiot. Something cold was on her closed laptop for like 30 minutes.. We haven't started up the laptop... Letting it thaw in other words.. Is my laptop done? What should I expect or do?
3 REPLIES 3
Dean
Dean
11043 11018 575 1626
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How cold?  Cold-enough to have some frozen water ("ice") on it?

The "risk" is that "room temperature" may cause the ice to liquify, and drip water into the laptop, which is "not a good thing".

Can you remember if the laptop went to "sleep" when you last closed the lid, or did you shut it down?

Opening the lid may cause the "sleep" to end, thus starting-up the computer.

Disconnect the AC power, and remove the battery (if you can), before contemplating to open the lid.

Look/feel for moisture.   If you find/suspect any, DO NOT TURN IT ON.  Let it "dry out" for a day or two.

0 Kudos
Chrisharper31 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It was a bag of frozen fruit. Not sure on the water but there may have been some condensation run off... But her laptop has a rounded top so it flowed to, the edge and onto the table.. The laptop was shut down... She always shuts it down... What would happen if it was in sleep mode?
0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 11018 575 1626
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> What would happen if it was in sleep mode? 

There is "sleep" mode, and there is "hibernate" mode.

Sleep mode consumes a small amount of electricity, while hibernate mode consumes none, since it is a  method for a "fast-boot" of Windows.

If it was, and you opened the lid, it might turn itself on.  Any water inside at that time could cause problems.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation