2 1 1 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Lost 2/3 of my battery capacity overnight

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, today when I started my HP ENVY 17 Notebook I got greeted by this HP Battery Alert, Error 601. I tried to look up for solutions online, and I'm currently trying to understand if I should just replace my battery, or this is a battery calibration problem, maybe caused by the update to Windows 20H2 I made.

I'm no tech guru, but I always managed to find a solution to my problems through googling, so if any of the steps I did was actually useless, sorry.

I run a battery report through power shell and this was the result:

MarvashMagalli_0-1616151266515.png

My battery capacity was around 25.000 mWh up until yesterday.

MarvashMagalli_1-1616151378117.png

I correctly updated my BIOS to the latest version.

I then tried to run the HP System Diagnostics Battery Test on startup (turned on the computer and immediately pressed Esc then F2), but got this result:

MarvashMagalli_2-1616152159810.png

I run the battery test on the HP Hardware Diagnostic app, but the test result is "Cancelled".
I run Window's troubleshooting tool, I got only a suggestion to change my "turn off timer" from never to something else.

I tried the "unplug, remove battery and hold the power button for 30-60 seconds, then put the battery back on and turn on the pc" trick, to no avail.

If my test results showed a gradual decline of battery capacity I would just replace it, I'm not convinced by this overnight loss of 2/3 of capacity.

What should I do now? Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
MarvashMagalli
Author
Level 1
2 1 1 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I solved this problem by myself.

"All it took" was to remove the battery, start the laptop while connected to a power source, turn it off, put the battery back on, start the laptop again and now I'm back to 25k mWh capacity, but also a weird 121% capacity 😅
I'll take it, hopefully this helps up somebody else, who knows.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation