Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-ax206na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade my factory 128GB M.2 SSD Sata 3 on my OMEN by HP 15-ax206na  as the factory M.2 Sata 3 is slower than my old laptops Samsung 850 evo Sata SSD.

I believed that the M.2 format is supposed to be faster than a regular Sata SDD.

I am interested in a  Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD NVMe I understand this is a different pin out configuration, the factory 128GB M.2 SSD Sata 3 being M + B and the the  Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD NVMe being M only or B, i'm not sure which. 

My question is, if this new NVMe drive does fit will i get the full NVMe speeds?

and is there any other compatibility issues i should be aware of?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thank you for the info, this helps greatly. One final question, how did you migrate the original m.2?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Funny you should ask. HP just loaned me the 15-ax252nr and I did exactly the upgrade you contemplate but I bought an HP 512 gig NVME M.2, the Samsung PM961. 

Not the greatest video but here I am doing the upgrade:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Omen-15-ax002na-Upgrade-option...

Here is the benchmark on the M.2 performance:

CDMark.jpg

So bottom line yes it work fine with an NVME/PCIe M.2 but if I were you I would get the PM961 as I know for a fact it works. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
Thank you for the info, this helps greatly. One final question, how did you migrate the original m.2?
HP Recommended

It's customary to provide the Solution to the person who provided the Answer, not yourself. And if you watch the video I showed how I did the migration. I did it when the laptop was brand new so just made the HP recovery disk on a usb drive and then restored that image to the new 512 gig M.2. Very easy. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.