Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-dc0030nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I need some help with an upgrade i did. I have the  OMEN by HP - 15-dc0030nr which came with a M.2 128gb drive and 1TB HDD. I recently upgraded the M.2 drive with a Kingston 500GB A2000 M.2 2280 NVMe drive (https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Internal-Security-SA2000M8-1000G/dp/B07VXCFNVS?th=1). It booted fine in the beginning and worked well for a couple of days and as of recently i have been getting an issue of no boot OS found and the drive in undetectable. Also, what makes it even stranger is if i leave the laptop on for about 5 minutes on that screen and the laptop heats up the laptop boots fine, it finds the M.2 drive and boots like it should.

Did anyone ever have this issue or knows what could be the cause? I realized there are a lot of issues with NVMe compatibility, could anyone recommend a compatible drive for this laptop? If needed i would have to replace the drive.

Thanks,

J.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I was able to find out the issue for now, the Kingston drive has some damage to the end of it. Not sure what caused it, seems manufacturer. I ended up getting my hands on a silicon power M.2 drive (couldn't get one in the links in time) and so far it works well. Will definitely take all the advice for any future decision s. This is a pic of the damaged drive (see it at the bottom):Kingston SSD Failure.png

This drive was installed brand new and has less than 100hrs on it. 

Regards to all,

Javon

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@JavonD 

You should use same brand and same series with the existing drive. Anyway, please try to update firmware from Kingston (if any), hope this helps.

My Omen machine has 256GB of Samsung

samsung ssd.png

Probably yours is also Samsung.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I think I'll need to try this. I would still like to know why when the laptop heats up it works fine though.

I'll update if it works when i purchase the drive. Dis anyone else ever face and issue like this before? The PM961 drive is very expensive at $255 on amazon for a 512GB drive. Has anyone used any alternatives that worked?

HP Recommended

Hello @JavonD 

I will agree to disagree with the answer given above. Same brand and same series works more for Ram, not drives. 😏

I have read of this issue before and its rare but does happen. The fix was to replace the SSD in all cases I've read.

The fault is not brand specific either. It can happen on any m.2 drive. The most believable theory I've read is a defect in soldering. Not sure how true that is, but plausible.

By the way, $255 for a 512GB PM961?   I don't know where you live, but if that's American price, they are ripping you off.

For example: Adata (example link) and Sabrent (example link) offer excellent drives for less money and good warranties.

TIP: You have to register a drive with its MFG to get the long warranty if its comes with one.

HP Recommended

Hello @Photoray002

Thanks for the response. I will check the links you sent me.

For some reason Amazon US has the price at $255.00 (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PM961-Polaris-512GB-MZVLW512HMJP-00000/dp/B06XJ95YVR?th=1). Don't know what ups with that.

The soldering issue would explain why it needs to heat up. 

Thanks again! I'll update the thread as i get a solution

HP Recommended

OK looking at that link, That particular drive is not sold directly from Amazon. Its from a 3rd party seller and they name their own price. He is price gouging and by everything holy, shouldn't be allowed to sell on there. 😠

255 price.JPG

HP Recommended

Try one of the links I posted, or look for that specific drive on another site like NewEgg.

HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I was able to find out the issue for now, the Kingston drive has some damage to the end of it. Not sure what caused it, seems manufacturer. I ended up getting my hands on a silicon power M.2 drive (couldn't get one in the links in time) and so far it works well. Will definitely take all the advice for any future decision s. This is a pic of the damaged drive (see it at the bottom):Kingston SSD Failure.png

This drive was installed brand new and has less than 100hrs on it. 

Regards to all,

Javon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.