Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 15-K201na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my Envy15-k201na with a m.2 ssd drive. I want to know whether my laptop support m.2 ssd drive and which Type of port is this? Is it an SATA or NVMe? Which one will be suitable for my laptop.

As per HP manual it is mentioned as mSATA. I don’t know the difference btw MSATA, SATA and NVMe.

Also is there any capacity limit for ssd drive with respect to this port?

B25E875E-3FAA-442B-9C0E-25F3285FC1FD.jpeg

145895BC-A1DB-4C22-B315-600CFDED5995.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your PC supports M2 SATA3 drives such as the M2 Samsung 860 Evo or similar. There is no limit to capacity. No support for M2 PCIe NVMe drive.

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07864V6CK/ref=twister_B0797N5GWN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You will need to install the OS on the SSD for performance gain.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks
Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thanks. The port in my laptop is having single notch at the end whereas the SATA ssd is having 2 notches at it end. Will it be compatible? 

Do you have any idea about mSATA? How it differs from m.2 SATA OR NVMe?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, the M2 SATA3 SSD has two notches and will fit right in. It is the only type of SSD you can use  (M2 SATA3 formfactor2280)

mSata is still a SATA SSD, however, it has a different form factor and will not fit in your notebook.

Regards,

David

HP Recommended

Hi,

just for for my understanding, why m.2 NVMe ssd is not supported though my m.2 slot is an NVMe type. Is it something related to Software like drivers to make it compatible or it’s related to hardware?

HP Recommended

the slot you see is the slot present in nearly all notebooks which have M2 slot, the NVMe SSD will fit in the slot, but will not work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.