Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
G7 255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all

Been looking at a RAM upgrade for my laptop.  Its a HP G7 255 with the product number: 1B7K2ES#ABU.    It currently has 8gb installed however short of opening her up and checking for any spare slots on the board I cant find any reliable information as to what capacity the laptop can take.

Does anyone know how many modules this laptop can take?  A document on the HOP site reckons 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM in 2xx= 8GB modules.

Is 16gb the max it can take?

Cheers

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Chris:

Notebooks with the Ryzen processors have two memory slots.

You can add a second 8 GB memory chip to the existing one and have 16 GB of memory.

Below is the link to the service manual.  The max memory capacity listed in chapter 1 is incorrect.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 255 G7 Notebook PC

8 GB is the max for the 255 G7's that have one memory slot such as those with the A4 processor.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi, Chris:

Notebooks with the Ryzen processors have two memory slots.

You can add a second 8 GB memory chip to the existing one and have 16 GB of memory.

Below is the link to the service manual.  The max memory capacity listed in chapter 1 is incorrect.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 255 G7 Notebook PC

8 GB is the max for the 255 G7's that have one memory slot such as those with the A4 processor.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul.

I thought it seemed a little odd that it only listed 8GB.

Can you confirm if thats a max of 8GB per slot or will the board allow a 16gb module to be slotted in to effectively make 32gb available.

Cheers

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Most notebooks with two memory slots and the Ryzen processors can take 2 x 16 GB of memory, but I cannot find any specific information that indicates your notebook can take more than 8 GB of memory.

Even the Crucial memory report which is normally very reliable gives bad info.  Says the max is 2 x 4 GB.

Says your notebook comes with a single 4 GB memory module.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp business notebooks | HP 255 G7 (AMD Ryzen) | Crucial.co...

The parts list for your notebook indicates that it comes with 1 x 8 GB of memory.

HP PartSurfer

Common sense would dictate that you could install a second 8 GB chip in the empty slot, otherwise what would it exist for?

So, if you wanted to experiment with a 16 GB chip, maybe put one toe in the water and add a 16 GB chip to the 8 GB chip and if the notebook boots up, works normally and reports 24 GB of memory, then you can go the distance and replace the 8 GB chip with a 16 GB chip and max it out to 32 GB.

HP Recommended

Yeah,  does get a little expensive buying a 16gb module to test the waters to see if it would recognise it properly.  Especially when its twice the price of the 8gb module.

From the links you posted, it looks like a 2666mhz speed module that's currently in the laptop.  I know they have to be matched speed wise or the faster one drops down to the slower speed.     I presume 2666mhz is the fastest available for the board,

Cheers

Chris

HP Recommended

Yes, I would get another DDR4-2666 MHz memory module.

I was under the impression that the Ryzen 3xxx processors ran the memory at 2400 MHz, so if by some chance yours is running the memory at 2666 MHz, that would be the max.

I would get the 8 GB Crucial DDR4-2666 MHz memory module.

You might be able to get it for a couple quid less on Amazon.UK than buying direct from Crucial, UK.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes, that one would be just fine.

HP Recommended

£26.50 posted.  Cant complain at that.  Should speed things up a little more.

Interesting to note that although I have 8Gb, AIDA64 reckons I have around 2gb left available, so the upgrade should help no end.

Just hope it comes apart easily enough.  They dont make them as accessible as they used to!

HP Recommended

Yes, that is a very reasonable price.

The service manual link I posted should help with taking the notebook apart.

Also, here is a video library on the model series which may help.

HP Support - YouTube

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.