Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 1 (170 Views)

Maximum Capacity for HDD/SSD in HP Elitebook 8560w

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Elitebook 8560w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have had my Elitebook for almost 5 years now. It currently runs Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with 16 GB of RAM. I'm still running on the installed Hitachi 500 GB HDD, but it's getting a little slow for my taste and I'm worried it might fail at any time.

I've been hoping to replace the 500 GB HDD with a 500 GB SSD from Samsung by cloning it, then wipe the old HDD completely, and THEN replace the optical bay with a new 2nd HDD of some unspecified capacity.

My problem now: I have about 300 GB's worth of data (went to an engineering school). I spoke to an HP rep on a live chat who told me that the largest supported capacity for an SSD (that can only be in the primary slot) is 256 GB and the largest supported capacity for an HDD in the replacement bay is 500 GB.

Rather than move and link my entire USER's folder to the 2nd HDD (which is possible but still confusing for me at this point), I'd like to get a second opinion from someone in the HP community. Is the capacity limitation a matter of drive height? BIOS limitation? Is it still possible to get a 500 GB SSD instead? I've seen in various forums that the user had a larger drive than suggested.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation