Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I just bought a 17 inch laptop, HP Laptop 17-by1xxx, which comes with 8gb of RAM.  Does anyone know the maximum amount it can be upgraded to and where the service manual is for instructions on installing it?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@tbuzzard

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

What is the exact product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

While you respond to that, let's try this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01961011 in order to Find Product Specifications

Note: under product specification, you can find Maximum memory upgrade options.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  The model # is, 6MW69UA#ABA.

The support assistant says that it has 2 memory banks and one is populated with 8gb.  The Crucial.com site states that this model can accept a maximum of 32gb.  I am hoping you can verify that.

The other issue is how do I get to the memory slots?  There is nothing I can find about that, which leads me to believe that I have to pay extra to have HP do the upgrade for me, when I have can easily do it myself if I have the instructions on how to get the case open. I am in my 45th year of IT and am A+ certified, so I certainly know how to replace memory sticks.  My concern is that HP has made it so that I can't do that without voiding the warranty.

Anyway, any help you can give would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

@tbuzzard

Thank you for posting back. 

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that your computer supports up to 16 GB of system RAM.

Click here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06148960 to know more about storage. 

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information.  The second part of my question is how do I install the memory?  Is there a service manual or other instructions on how to get to the memory slots?

HP Recommended

@tbuzzard

Thank you for posting back.

Here is the user manual for this computer:http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c0614896 ( refer to page 40 Memory ) 

1. Shut the computer down and disconnect the power cord.

2. Turn the notebook over and place it on a firm surface.

3. Remove the battery.

4. Locate the memory module compartment cover, and then use a Phillips screwdriver to open it.

Memory module cover on the bottom of a notebook computer

5. Before touching the memory, ground yourself to discharge any static electricity. Place one hand on the case of the computer and touch the other hand to a metal surface or grounded object, such as the metal part of a lamp.

6. If you need to remove existing memory before installing new memory, spread the clips holding the module outward to release it, and then grasp the module by the side edges to remove it.

Releasing the memory module

caution:To prevent memory module damage, do not touch the metal contacts.
  7. Place any removed modules in an anti-static bag for protection.

8. Holding the new memory by the side edges, gently insert the memory module at an angle into the slot.

Inserting the memory module into the slot

9. Gently but firmly press down on the module to seat it into place. The clips click when the memory is properly installed.

Pressing down on  the memory module to seat it into place

10. Reinstall the memory module compartment cover.

11. Reconnect the power cord.

12. Reinstall the notebook battery.

13. Turn on the notebook to complete the memory upgrade configuration.

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.