Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-u010dx x360 Convertible PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to determine if I can upgrade my HP ENVY 15-u10dx x360 by installing more RAM which currently has the following:

MOTHERBOARD: HP part # 774606-001

CPU: Intel Core i5-4210U

RAM: 2 x PC3L 1600-MHz 4-GB (HP part # 691740-005)

The CPU supports up to 16gb of RAM; however, I'm unsure if the motherboard offers support beyond 8gb. Based on my review of the Maintenance and Service Guide, it appears that 8gb is the maximum amount supported, but am unsure. I have been unable to find any specs on the motherboard itself and am wondering if it will support more than 8gb, if any BIOS updates have expanded its capacity, or if anyone has had luck installing more than 8gb of RAM.

Any information will be greatly appreciated, even if it confirms I am unable to upgrade.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Crucial memory site indicates that you can install 2 x 8 GB in your notebook.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/envy-15-u010dx-x360

You will not find any other HP documentation other than the service manual you have already reviewed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Crucial memory site indicates that you can install 2 x 8 GB in your notebook.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/envy-15-u010dx-x360

You will not find any other HP documentation other than the service manual you have already reviewed.

HP Recommended

Paul_Tikkanen,

Thank you for the quick response. I actually reviewed Crucial's website before posting here and am a little precarious because of my review of the Maintenance and Service Guide. Specifically because of the section I've screenshot below which leads me to believe the motherboard is insufficient to properly support additional memory.

Screenshot_2019-11-16 c04513489.png
However, since you seem to trust Crucial, I'll go ahead and try installing 2x8gb sticks and update this post with the results in a couple of weeks.

Thank you.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have never seen an instance where you see in the service manual where one slot can take an 8 GB chip, but the other only a 4 GB chip as being correct.

They would both take 8 GB or they would both take 4.

The processor and chipset your notebook has can support 2 x 8 GB of memory.

I have a HP 350 G1 notebook with a 4th gen i3 core processor, and I am running 2 x 8 GB in mine with no issues at all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.