Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Intel Core i5 7th edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I want to upgrade my memory and need to know how much can it upgrade to?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@IDK76 

Are you running Windows 10 (32 bit) ?

(a) If yes then no point to add more RAM because  Windows 1032bit OS won't address RAM above 4GB - full stop.

(b) If no we need to know what EXACTLY is your HP Intel Core i5 7th edition ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

or

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I’m not sure what’s my memory. My screen is black when I got it on. I took apart the back to check my ram. That’s when I asked if I could upgrade. What are the reasons my laptop comes on but my screen is black?

HP Recommended

@IDK76 

As I said before, I need to know what exactly is your machine otherwise I can't give right information. You don't nee to open your machine, there are many tools you can use to know which RAM (brand, model, size) is on your machine. The very popular one is

CPU-Z

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

please understand that I’m not technical when it comes to computers. I learned how to take the back off via YouTube. Now if you would tell me the information I need precisely that I need to give to you then things could’ve gone a little faster. I have my ram out so let me just give you what’s on my ram in hopes it’ll be something you need. It’s a Samsung SY2UA206834...... if you need the rest I’ll provide it. 8GB 1Rx8 PC4 2400T SA1- 11 CRC then it has more states with M471A.....

Now if this isn’t what you need then please don’t assume that I know what I’m looking at means. Please be so kind to guide me appropriately to give you the information you’re requesting of me. Again, I can’t access my computer bc the screen is black. I’m hoping to remedy that via the research and HP community assistance. 

Thank you

HP Recommended

My model of the laptop is15-ay103dx another model on here is RTL8188EE

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.