Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 13-u132tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I have been using a HP x360 Convertible Laptop u132tu for some time now. As it is my Laptop usually grinds to a snails pace if there are any updates being pushed in WIndows. Till now I just havent taken the time to see whats wrong. After doing the current updates I see that my memory usage is quite on the high side and its quite high even without opening anything up. This is the memory usage with just this Firefox window open to type this post.

x360.jpg

Ive been thinking of upgrading the memory for better performace. Is it a good idea to mvoe to  8-16 GB Ram . My major usage on this laptop is Office applications , Visio, Outlook and some browsing. Also could anyone tell me if  they would happen to know the maximum speed of the memory module I can put on this laptop . Does using two modules instead of one benefit more ?

Thanks in advance,

Biju

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Biju_Mathew 

I would absolutely upgrade to more memory and a minimum of 8GB is standard now days.

You could install another 4 GB stick along with what is there now. Or you could go 2-8GB sticks for 16GB total. Either way will work. It would be advisable to match the timings of the current stick that's installed now before purchasing.

Use a tool like CPUz or Speccy (both free to download) to see the frequencies of the existing 4GB DDR4 2133 Mhz stick.

Here is your manual. Pages 58-59...  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05226489

It has the instructions on how to access the memory.

Let me know if you have other questions.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @Biju_Mathew 

I would absolutely upgrade to more memory and a minimum of 8GB is standard now days.

You could install another 4 GB stick along with what is there now. Or you could go 2-8GB sticks for 16GB total. Either way will work. It would be advisable to match the timings of the current stick that's installed now before purchasing.

Use a tool like CPUz or Speccy (both free to download) to see the frequencies of the existing 4GB DDR4 2133 Mhz stick.

Here is your manual. Pages 58-59...  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05226489

It has the instructions on how to access the memory.

Let me know if you have other questions.

HP Recommended

Thanks much. Using speccy I was able to get this information 

speccy.jpg

Im guessing the important numbers here are the Dram Frequency and the CL 15 portion ? Thanks much for your help. I believe I have gotten an overall idea of what should be done. I think Ill try to get 2x4GB Modules if possible or 2 x 8GB modules if the price differential isnt too high.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi Biju,

Max RAM for your model is 32GB of DDR4 2400MHz RAM (2x16GB) even if the service manual mentions 16GB.

There are two slots and at the moment you have one 4GB module. The RAM will run at 2133MHz. You can purchase from your preferred brand. Yes, I would go with another 4GB stick in the empty slot.

Example

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-x360-13-u132tu#MEMORYFilter...

However, an upgrade you should really perform is to replace the 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD such as the 2.5" Samsung 860 Evo or similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=860%2Be...

This would give a great boost to everyday performance and would be really noticeable.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

32 GB would be an absolute waste of money or I would have mentioned it. If He ONLY has 4 GB now, he will absolutely benefit from at least 8GB. Then yes I would consider an SSD if your budget allows it.

HP Recommended

Well, I guess 16GB would be a waste of money too? I mention the max and the best idea for an upgrade.

With 8GB of RAM, the SSD will be much more noticable than any other possible upgrade based on the use of the notebook by the Member. 

David

HP Recommended

I answered what he had asked about. But I guess there must be a competition starting on me now since CherylG wasnt enough?

HP Recommended

I thought I would add about the SSD since it is basically the upgarde which would make most difference in the notebook and the use the Member makes of it. I do not understand what you mean by @CherylG ? enough of what?

David

HP Recommended

Hmm never thought of changing the hard disk . I definitely think I could throw in a SSD along with the memeory upgrade. I do have sort of sentimental attachment to this laptop (Long story 😐) so Id like it to be "usable" as long as it doesnt become too much of a burden . I appreciate the help from all of you . Thanks . 🙂

HP Recommended

If you need any help replacing the drive or reinstalling Windows, let us know. It will be a great boost and the cost of SSDs has really fallen. Personally, I try not to use PCs without SSD any longer because of the long wait during loading times and the difference SSDs make (even in older Computers).

All the best,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.