Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would like to upgrade the RAM on my HP Probook 4510s. I'm a bit confused as to what type of RAM goes into this unit and the maximum I can fit into it.

Can anyone help me.

Regards,

Al

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

8 gigs is the max or 2 x 4 gig modules. 8 gigs is very expensive and you may want to consider only installing 4 gigs...you would hardly notice any difference except in the wallet. 4 gigs will be noticeably better than 2, however. Here is a link to a memory seller with pictures and a description of the type of memory you need. It is DDR2 800 mhz also known as PC2-6400 SO-DIMM or laptop memory. You can buy it just about anywhere laptops are sold but 4 gig sticks are a bit hard to find except online. 2 x 2 gig kits are very commonly available. Shop around for the best buy but stick with a name brand. This is Kingston which is always good.

Your RAM

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply and advice. Much appreciated.

I have one other questions please: Does the notebook take DDR2 or DDR3 memory modules. Accoring to my understanding of the official HP ProBook 4510s Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide, this model takes either DDR2 or DDR3. My understanding of the guide is that some units took one type of ram while others took the other.

I intend to replace exsiting RAM. Would DDR3 be an option?

For anyone who might need this in order to help me, the service tag of the unit is: P4510sUT6570Q5X320MIBNCN3Qa.

Thanks,

Al

HP Recommended

DDR2 and DDR3 memory modules are physically different so it is impossible it takes both. Look at what you have in the laptop and replace with like kind.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Is there a way I can find out the memory in the unit without having to open the unit up. The main reason is that the fold who designed this notebook made access to the memory a really hassle.

Can anyone from HP help me from the machine's tag number? For example on Dell computers, these tag numbers tell you everything you need to know about the machine. Does HP have anything similar?

HP Recommended

The Service Manual has a chart on page 4 of Chapter one saying which models have DDR-3 and which have DDR-2 but there is a note that says the model number cannot tell you which it has. I guess they switched to DDR-3 somewhere in the production run.

Manual

A system diagnostic program like CPU-Z will tell you they type and speed of memory installed in the system without cracking the case. You are right there are a lot of gyrations needed to install memory:

CPU-Z

HP Recommended

dear sir,

Please help me out to upgrade my HP Probook 4510s with RAM, 

i am confussed about it as DDR2 or DDR3 

HP Recommended

Hello,

The HP ProBook 4510s system supports DDR2 and DDR3. Based on the Chipset your system has, you can find the memory type supported. 

Intel GL40 Chipset supports DDR3 and Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset supports DDR2.

Find out which Chipset your system (Motherboard) has, then you'll know the supported memory type.

You can check these links for compatible memory upgrade:

ProBook 4510s DDR3

ProBook 4510s DDR2

Good luck!

HP Recommended
When you will open your probook the slot in which RAM is fixed allows you to check the voltage. (You can see it in the black line) probook 4510s has 1.8v so it is DDR 2. By checking the voltage you can check its category. You can upgrade it till 8gb
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.