Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 255 g7 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I want to upgrade my ram. It has 4 gb ram and i would like to put an additional 8 gb ram.
I want to know How much additional memory am I allowed to put in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your notebook is one of those that only has one memory slot.

You can remove the 4 GB DDR-2400 memory module and replace it with an 8 GB DDR4 memory module.

If your notebook does not have a solid state drive, I recommend you install one for better drive performance.

I have a 255 G7 with the same processor as yours, but mine already came with 8 GB of memory, and a 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD from HP.

It is barely adequate with that configuration.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

What model processor does your 255 G7 have.

If it has the A4 o A6 processor, there is only one memory slot, and you would have to remove the 4 GB chip and replace it with an 8 GB chip.

If it has the Ryzen processor, it has two memory slots and you could add an 8 GB chip to the existing 4 GB chip.

Below is the link to the service manual.  Chapter 1 has the memory upgrade info.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 255 G7 Notebook PC

HP Recommended

HI

Thank you for your response .
This is the processor I have : AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your notebook is one of those that only has one memory slot.

You can remove the 4 GB DDR-2400 memory module and replace it with an 8 GB DDR4 memory module.

If your notebook does not have a solid state drive, I recommend you install one for better drive performance.

I have a 255 G7 with the same processor as yours, but mine already came with 8 GB of memory, and a 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD from HP.

It is barely adequate with that configuration.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Hi Paul 

I need one last suggestion from you. At Crucial I found these compatible rams 
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-255-g7-(amd-a9--a6--a4--e2-processors)...

but not the one that was mentioned in the support guide DDR4-1866.  Would a DDR4 - 2400 be compatible with my laptop? 
I looked at a couple of places and the availability of DDR4-1866 is rare.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I am pretty sure that the 4 GB memory module that HP installed in your notebook is DDR4-2400.

The processor just runs it at 1866 MHz.

This 8 GB crucial chip will work just fine for you from that report.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT8G4SFS824A | Crucial.com

I have zipped up and attached a free utility below that will tell you what speed memory HP installed in your notebook.

HP Recommended

Hi  Paul 

Thank you for your last response. 
I am back with another concern. I am not being able to find crucial 8GB ddr4-2400 MHz SODIMM anywhere within my reach but crucial 8GB ddr4-2666 MHz SODIMM, is what's available everywhere,

would a 2666 MHz be compatible with my laptop?

regards

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, a DDR4-2666 MHz memory module will also work just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.