Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17 inch laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello and thank you to anyone who answer in advance for replying.

My issue is this....I ordered a 17.3 inch laptop from HP.com last year.  It was sent in twice while under warranty for overheating issues and other issues with HP saying they replaced the motherboard after the second repair.  Now that it a few months out of warranty the laptop is still overheating at times and now the laptop just cuts off randomly.  I know there is a defect in the motherboard and I suspect HP never replaced the origional.

In any event I'm looking for another motherboard.  My computer motherboard parts number is a replacement number 926188-601, but it is also says it's UMA A12-9720P WIN, which I take is the origional part number.   I cannot find any motherboards with the 926188-601 number but I found several with the UMA A12-9720P WIN number, but with a different "926...." part number.  Are the boards compatible?  I find it odd that the origional part number matches, but the replacement number doesn't  Thanks again

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@swilson3828 

I don't know what is your 17 inch laptop since HP has dozens if not hundreds of models/products called 17 inch machines, Anyway you are saying its part number is 926188-601 which is used for 12 models as shown on the following list

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=926188-601

HP calls it as system board now. From page 60 of the following manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05985644.pdf

That means your machine has

AMD A12-9720P processor (CPU)

Using Integrated graphics (UMA)

And has Windows 10 (code 601).

You have to buy new system board which contains

(a) Motherboard,

(b) CPU with integrated video,

(c) Operating system.

All above 3 components are on one piece of hardware called System board.

That why it is very expensive on many cases

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you provide the exact model or product number of the notebook? Here is how to find it

Model number

Have you performed hardware diagnostics at boot to see if there are any hardware failures. You can perform the system test.

Turn off the PC by holding the power button. Turn on PC and continuously keep pressing ESC until the startup menu appears and then press F2 to enter diagnostics. Try the fast test, or at least the hard drive test.

See if there are any hardware errors.

You can also perform a diagnostics test from Windows and in HP support assistant.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/diagnostics

If you think the problem is overheating, I would first try replacing the thermal material between heatsinkand CPU/GPU with quality material. I would consider replacing the fan.

When the notebook shuts off, does Windowsclose down or is it as if the power is removed from machine? Does it start up right away again? Have you used software such as AIDA64 Extreame to see the Temperatures or even perform a stress test?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  I didn't include the 17 inch model number since I directly named the part for the motherboard.  Thank you for your help

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for the reply.

This PC was ordered March of 2018, and had been sent back twice to HP for repair.  One time because diagnostics showed a defective cooler fan, and the other because the replacement of the fan didn't work and the computer continued to get rather warm.  On the second supposed repair they (HP) supposedly replaced the entire motherboard, but since that time the computer has started to just shut off randomly like it would if you let the battery run out.....however it does this when it is plugged in.  In any event Ive ran diagnostics and supposedly this processor gets pretty warm but this does not excuse the fact that it simply cuts off randomly for no reason.  I have used the diagnositcs and the hardware is showing as passed.  When the notebook shuts off, yes it reboots windows as if you were just powering it on.  Ive talked with a computer tech and he mentioned these HP boards having an issue with then simply cutting off and recommended replacing the motherboard....however that was supposedly done the last time I sent this computer into HP under warranty.  

I do think there is a malfunction in the motherboard as the fan has already been replaced.

the product # 1DK10AV.

Thank you again for the assistance

HP Recommended

You are correct with the computer specifications. Yes I do realize I have to purchase a new motherboard, but my credit card company will cover the replair or salvage the computer and give me back up to the amount I paid for it.  I've looked for a replacement motherboard but I can't seem to find one....not even from HP.  It's just a very frustrating situation all the way around as HP sold me a defective computer initially and even though it was sent in twice for repair it is still defective.

Thank you again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.