Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, this is my third time posting here, and first time my laptop is not actually dying. #Progress. Anyway, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong category to post, but my issue is with my mouse ( Logitech M90 according to the box. )

Anyway, I've ran into a weird issue with my mouse recently. For the past 3 days or so my mouse keeps dying, usually it first "turns off" ( the laser turns off and the cursor can't be moved ) but fixes itself after a while. But after a few times, the mouse dies for "real", until I reboot my laptop.

The only notable thing I did beforehand was installing a game, and during playing was the first time this whole thing happened. Now even without launching said game I might just be browsing YouTube and it happens. ( During playing it usually happens way faster though. )

Other than that, I haven't reset my laptop for a period of two weeks or so. But it only started on the last day, as I had to install some updates.

Here's what I tried to do:

- I've tried uninstalling reinstalling the Generic USB Hub and mouse drivers. No dice.

- Turned off the option to save power by turning off the USB ports. Not this either. My mouse has the option grayed out. The mouse itself shows itself as HID-compliant Mouse in Device Manager.

- Checked for any Windows updates to see if I had any of the "problematic" updates that might mess with the mouse in any way. Found none of the specific ones mentioned.

- Scanned for viruses with Win Defender. 0 files found.

- Tried to update the drivers, Windows tell me they are the latest ones ( Despite being 12 years old? )

If my mouse shows up in device menager after dying, it shows this error: A request for the USB device descriptor failed. While itself showing up as "Unknown USB Device". Usually it doesn't show up, at all.

This mouse is fairly new, so I doubt it might be a case of damaged wiring. And again, this started happening very suddenly. i find it strange a game would somehow mess up my drivers though. Sadly, I do not have any way to check my mouse on a different device.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.