Good day. Welcome to the HP support forums. I understand that you have issues with the touchpad led not working.I will be delighted to assist you here. :)
Fabulous description, splendid effort and great diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. :) You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it.It is a genuine pleasure to share this platform with you. :)
For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this?
- Please let me know the complete model# of the notebook.
- Did this happen after a recent power outage or power surge?
- Did it happen after any software updates? Do you remember?
- Is the touchpad working correctly?
It looks like a hardware issue with the computer. For a start please try these steps.
- Please double tap on the area on the LED and it should light up the LED if it is functioning correctly.
- Otherwise, please power down the computer and perform a hard reset on the computer. Please click here for steps.
- If it still does not work, Please uninstall the touchpad drivers from device manager by following these steps:
- Click on Start>control panel> open device manager> expand Mice and other pointing devices>then select all the mouse drivers one at a time and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers. Check the box that says delete the software for this device.
- Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and touchpad drivers from this link:http://hp.com/drivers and check if this does the trick for you.
- If it still does not work, then it is a hardware issue with the touchpad's LED.
If the computer is more than 3 or 4 years old, then the model must have been retired and as a result service options may not be available with HP to fix it as the parts for it are no longer manufactured. I would request you to contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician to get the computer serviced.
Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.
To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. :)
I am an HP Employee