Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So i'll start here, I bought the laptop as a birthday present for myself back in august, everything was working fine for the first few days, great temps, amazing FPS, no noise, absolutely nothing to complain about.

After maybe 5-6 days of owning the laptop I started having really bad thermal issues coming from the CPU, it was slowly creeping up to the point i'd be sitting on the main menu of Modern Warfare and the fans would be pumping as hard as it could and the CPU would be at 86c, my first thought was the thermal paste these companies use probably isn't the best and as I had some ARCTIC MX-4 from my previous laptop lying around so I thought i'd open it up and re-paste the CPU.

That initially seemed to sort the CPU thermal issue but long and behold after a few days it'd creep back up and were back on 90C again, I was stumped, my second thought was maybe I put too much paste on and thats why It was getting hot, so I got out my trusty Ifixit pro toolkit, opened it up again and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but again I re-pasted it and hoped it'd fix it.

Its now been about 2 months and after opening it every few weeks to re-paste it, I have seriously no Idea if this laptop is just a **bleep** design or weather my specific laptop is faulty, anyway I'm near sending it back to HP to get them to investigate and if they can't fix it chances are i'll just return it. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@FalconV1 

Running over 90°C is very normal for an HP Omen. Two fans are not enough, it uses 150W to 200W when gaming. Have you tried to touch to a 100W  incandescent lamp (when it's on) ?

Please try a cooling pad, this may help a bit. Machine will automatically shut itself down when too hot.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Not a chance, I did a lot of research before purchasing this laptop and there are a few youtube videos where people play and benchmark these laptops and they go no where near 90-100c.

and if that were the case it wouldn't be fine for 4-7 days before destabilising.

Its gotta be either a hardware issue. 

Also both myself and the wife have had other laptops that can stay around 70-75c (they were other brands but still) 90c may be ok in the short term but it'd never last even 2 years at those kind of temps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.