Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an old HP laptop. When I turn it on it says that the fan is not working so it turns off in 15 seconds, but can be turned on with a warning. I purchased a new HP and want to transfer files over using Windows 10 and an external file to One Drive, or any other way that would be better or faster.

I am considering buying a Laptop Cooling Pad, Laptop with 6 Quiet Led Fans For 15.6-17 Inch Laptop on Amazon. Since this is a one and done situation, would this work? I just need to get my files from the old computer to an external hard drive or directly to the new computer. I do not think that the computer is fixable because the display is broken in the back (where HP computers say HP) at the fold on the left side.

Can someone help? I have a lot of important stuff on that computer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@pumpkin3 

Any transfer using any Cloud service it going to be limited to network connection speeds.  I don't use the Cloud services because (1) I don't trust them to protect my stuff, and (2) I have high-speed connections to local external and networked drives that meet all my needs.

The fastest local transfer would involve copy files to an external SSD -- since those have performance speeds much faster than standard hard drives.  Nowadays, you can even buy NVMe SDDs mounted in portable cases -- and those are really, really fast.

But they cost a LOT and if you are only going to do this once, you would probably do better buying a cheaper but slower solution. -- the cheapest and slowest being a large USB stick.

And by the way -- you will only be able to copy personal files.  You will not be able to copy settings, profiles, or applications.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you.

I appreciate that information. My biggest concern, though, which you did not mention, was whether purchasing a cooling pad as mentioned above will serve to keep the laptop cool enough for the time it takes to transfer whatever is transferred. Since there will be no internal fan cooling the laptop HP is giving a warning that I may loose data, etc, Will the cooling pad supply enough cool so that my internal hardware is not damaged in the process of me transferring the data. That is what I really need to know.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@pumpkin3 

I didn't mention that because I have no way of knowing how well any pad is going to work and if that is going to be long enough to do the transfers you want. 

If time is an issue, then buying faster, more expensive media, is probably the way to go.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.