Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do you correct Thunderbolt USB not active on my HP Envy Laptop?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @michaelhow1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the USB port issue. 

To better assist you - May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

While you respond to that, please try these steps - HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB Connections 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for responding. My Model number is : 3WE41UA#ABA       

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for responding. My Model number is   3WE41UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying @michaelhow1

1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data transfer up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge). This is not a Thunderbolt port.

Please refer to the product specs page - HP ENVY - 17-ae110nr Product Specifications

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Wow this is disapointing as my port on the left side has a Thunderbolt Logo, thats the main reason I purchased this model.

See photothunderbolt pic.jpg

HP Recommended

@michaelhow1

Please let us know which device you would like to connect to the USB C type port.

USB Type-C port with HP Sleep and Charge When the computer is on, connects and charges a USB device that has a Type-C connector,

such as a cell phone, camera, activity tracker, or smartwatch, and provides high-speed data transfer.

– or –

Connects to various USB, video, HDMI, and LAN devices.

NOTE: Cables and/or adapters (purchased separately) may be required. – or – Connects a DisplayPort device that has a USB Type-C connector, providing display output.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help, I purchased my HP to transfer video from my SDI Camcorder to my Harddrive. I purchased a Blackmagic   Ultra Studio Mini Recorder with an apple adapter that goes from Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3. Why does my Laptop display a Thunderbolt 3 port if it is not Thunderbolt3?  This is not  the model needed evedently.🤔

HP Recommended

@michaelhow1 That's because the USB Type-C on your laptop is designed to work only with Data transfer up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge,

Let me know if you need anything else.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Again thank you.  I guess I am out of luck, and stuck with a new laptop that misrepresented its capabilities. 😡

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.