Highlighted
georgechrys Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP Envy charges only when it is in sleep mode or turned off. Also screen freezes and goes white.

HP Envy 15 NoteBook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Unfortunately my HP Envy charges only when it is in sleep mode or turned off. I perfomed a troubleshoot and I got an error saying that I should buy a new battery. So, I ordered a new HP battery. The problem is that even with the new battery the problem continues. I even used another compatible charger, to ensure that it is not a charger problem, and I got the same message. "Plugged in, not charging".

I unistalled the AC Adapter and reinstalled the drivers from the Device Managers, but the problem did not get fixed. Moreover I also performed Windows Troubleshooting, but nothing relevant comes up.

Moreover there is another problem. Some times, the screen starts to act weird. It goes white with some strips and it freezes and after some time it operates normally again. I don't think the two problems are related, but I thought it is good to mention both.

HP Envy 15 NoteBook PC, Windows 10 (64 bit) - all hardware fully updated.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Dean
Dean
11043 11018 574 1620
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP Envy charges only when it is in sleep mode or turned off. Also screen freezes and goes white.

Your question is quite similar to this question:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Notebook-only-charges-when-c...

Please read the suggestion posted in that question.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately in the link you provided it only answers whether this is repairable under warranty but doesn't give any sollutions.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 11018 574 1620
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> it only answers whether this is repairable under warranty but doesn't give any solutions.

Does it matter more to you "how" the factory-authorized repair depot solves the problem, versus the fact that they can fully repair the problem, at no cost to you?

I don't do my own dentistry -- I trust that the dentist will correctly use the appropriate tools to complete the repair.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are right. The problem is that I am not covered by warranty now, it expired.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 11018 574 1620
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Moreover there is another problem.

> Sometimes, the screen starts to act weird.

> It goes white with some strips and it freezes and after some time it operates normally again.

These symptoms imply a problem with the video-circuitry on the computer's motherboard.

The only ways to solve this problem are:

1. replace the motherboard

2. replace the computer

3. pay HP to repair the computer (which may involve a replacement of the motherboard)

4. access:  http://support.hp.com and use the "check warranty" function to be sure that your warranty is expired

5. see if you can buy an "extended warranty", even though the original warranty has expired, and make a claim

All of the above will also solve your "not charging" problem.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation