Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre 13-v151nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I had to start working from home unexpectedly due to COVID-19 and so my HP spectre notebook is getting used a lot lately and having to do video conferencing and all sorts of things it isn't used to doing.  Last night it was idle playing music and Boop.  It turned off all on its own.  I turned it back on and the battery was at 29% but it was plugged in.  It started to lose power.  I unplugged everything and had a meltdown because I NEED TO WORK and so I started to see if I could get a new power component.  I don't know what its called though.  It plugs into the computer and into the wall and it has a block thing saying HP on it.  I am not good with computers.  Anyways the parts on this website said they are discontinued and I cant believe it because this laptop I spend money on and bought in 2017.  Already obsolete?  I mean I don't even know if its the issue with the plug thingy or the notebook?  How do I know?  Anyways, I am a social worker and am trying to help my clients not go off the deep end via video chat right now and help them in their crisis mode during this time and now I can't.  Am I going to have to buy a whole new notebook?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mcreamer Nice to meet you, I'm a part time social worker too, and I know it could be frustrating without a working computer, that said, the plug thingy is called - Power adapter, and here's a list of steps to identify and resolve the issue:

Unplug the charge, Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager:

1) In the search box, type and open “Device Manager”.

2) Expand “Batteries”.

3) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.

4) Click on “Uninstall”.

5) At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver

6) Shutdown the computer.

7) Remove the battery for a minute and then put it back in. (Skip this step if you have a non removable battery)

8 - When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.

9) Go to Device Manager.

10) Expand Batteries.

11) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.

12) Click "Search automatically for updated driver software"

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller.

If the issue persists, run a battery and adapter test using the steps mentioned in this link: Click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@mcreamer Nice to meet you, I'm a part time social worker too, and I know it could be frustrating without a working computer, that said, the plug thingy is called - Power adapter, and here's a list of steps to identify and resolve the issue:

Unplug the charge, Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager:

1) In the search box, type and open “Device Manager”.

2) Expand “Batteries”.

3) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.

4) Click on “Uninstall”.

5) At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver

6) Shutdown the computer.

7) Remove the battery for a minute and then put it back in. (Skip this step if you have a non removable battery)

8 - When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.

9) Go to Device Manager.

10) Expand Batteries.

11) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.

12) Click "Search automatically for updated driver software"

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller.

If the issue persists, run a battery and adapter test using the steps mentioned in this link: Click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.