Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emeralda
3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My battery runs down too fast

My battery runs down in less than 2hrs and my computer is less than 2 months old. The computer is suposed to have a long battery life. My colleague has a similar product and his lasts 6 hrs. Mine is an Anthlon processor and his is an intel. could that be the problem?

4 REPLIES 4
Level 17
Level 17
40,783 40,570 6,374 11,100
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes almost certainly. You have to make sure you have the system configured for longer battery life but in my experience an AMD is going to have a shorter battery life, but not 33% as long. I doubt your friend really gets 6 hours, or he or she has an extended life battery so it is not really apples to apples. I do get about 4.5-5 hours out of my mid-sized Intel-based laptop but I have the big sticking out extended battery. On an AMD laptop with a 14.1 or bigger screen and a regular (not ultra low voltage) processor and a standard 6 cell battery 2 hours is about what you are going to get. A comparable Intel might get 2.5 or 3 hours. There is a lot of hype about battery life out there but that is real world.

0 Kudos
Mr_Dr_Pepper
Level 2
17 13 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You may have permanently damaged your battery by running it too hot. If you run your laptop on a poor vented surface or let the vent fans get plugged up with dust the heat build up from the laptop will damage the lithium battery, which I learned the hard way on my laptop. Always keep your vents clean and take out your battery at 40-50% if you don't plan to use it for a while and just plan to use the Ac power.

Pavilion Dm4 1165dx
2.4 ghz Core i5 M450
7200 rpm 500gb hd
4 gb ddr3
0 Kudos
Kumasi
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just purchased a refublished HP Envy from Walmart. for some reasons the battrey runs down so fast.

what is draining the battry.

0 Kudos
JScott1963
Level 3
48 42 0 7
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery life is all relative to settings. How bright is the screen, what tasks you are doing, and even what apps you use. For example Chrome does use more battery than Edge and if you have a lot of tabs open that can add to loss of battery life.

If you go to Settings, System and then battery you can get a detailed list of what processes and apps are most using your battery. I just bought a Pavilion 15 inch notebook which claimed 10 hours battery life. I knew better than to think I would get that. Although my experience has been much less at around 5 hours at best with Edge and 50% brightness. Chrome I managed about one hour less. Be nice if someone would push for a more uniform battery life test sequence sort of like we have MPG estimates in cars. That way you could at least compare better on something as important as battery life.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation