2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My brand new laptop is much louder than my last HP laptop

HP15-ba077sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just bought a new laptop to replace my old HP one, and after using it for half an hour I have become incredibly irritated at a gritty whirring noise of what sounds like a processor (it doesn't sound the same as the cooling fan imo), originating from the right side of my laptop underneath the keypad. I am wondering whether this is common for this particular model of laptop or whether I have a fault item.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
41,049 39,527 6,148 10,661
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It really can't be the processor since processors have no moving parts. The only parts that move and can make noise are the hard drive, the DVD drive and the cooling fan(s). The location you point to is where the hard drive sits. Laptops are thinner and lighter these days which makes it hard to dampen sound. You might want to go into the diagnostics (F2 as you power up or esc to get the boot menu and choose diagnostics) and run the hard drive test. This will put maximum stress on the hard drive and you can see if the sound becomes acute while that is happening and also see if maybe there is a problem with the hard drive. 

Post back with your findings. 

0 Kudos
rcaw123 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The only diagnostic I could carry out (clicking F2 on start up didn't work) was the memory diagnostic. During this the noise doesn't occur.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
41,049 39,527 6,148 10,661
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try esc as you start up. Then you should get a menu that includes diagnostics. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation