Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
X3M85EA#ABV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I noticed this problem in my laptop while charging it today.

My laptop was in sleep mode and my AC adapter was plugged in and it was charging and I noticed that the charging light kept changing orange and white it stays orange for about 10-20 seconds and then turns white for another 10-20 seconds. When I turned on the laptop whilst charging it, I noticed that the charge keeps connecting and disconnecting so it tells me charging for like 10-20 seconds and then it disconnects for another 10-20 seconds. The laptop is on while the battery is present and with my AC adapter unplugged so the computer still works with the battery in my laptop powering it (with no AC adapter plugged in).

How do I solve this issue? thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @Kamel2233, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

Don't worry I'll to help you out. Please answer a few questions below in order to assist you better.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter?

Are you using anHP genuine AC adapter?

Were there any recent windows update on the PC?

Does your laptop shutdown when you unplug the charger from your PC?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Let's start troubleshooting now to isolate the issue.

Try updating the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

You can update other drivers on your PC using the HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Check if the pin inside the DC or charging port is bent or broken.

Please perform below-shown steps to resolve the issue:
Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

Also, Try performing a hard reset on your laptop and check if it helps.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.

3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.

6. With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.

7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.

8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

The computer starts normally or a startup menu opens.

NOTE: 

If your computer does not start after pressing the Power button, then a power reset did not resolve the startup issue. SeeAdditional resources for further troubleshooting steps.

9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot battery issues with your laptop. Click Here

Also, try running a battery test on your PC and check if the battery is functioning correctly.

You can run a battery test from F2 refer this article to know more information. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with the laptop.

Please contact HP support for further assistance. Click Here

Let me know how it goes!

Happy Weekend! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi A4Apollo! I am using HP notebook 15bs series and  I am facing the same issue. I haven't made any hardware change. I am using the genuine AC adapter even i had tried using different AC adapter and it was before any windows update after that i have updated my windows + bios still facing the same issue. When i unplug laptop it don't go for shutdown, it works for a while then automatically shutdown without any battery down warning.

HP Recommended

@Tufail_

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Did you try another charger?
  • Do you get any error message on your notebook (Such as Plugged in, not charging, etc.)?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. If the issue persists, follow the next steps.

Run hardware diagnostics test on battery and Charger:

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.
  4. The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.
  5. To run both tests simultaneously, in the Component Tests menu, click Power Source, and then click Run once. Each component can also be tested individually.

AC Adapter Test:

The AC Adapter test provides an interactive test to determine if the AC power adapter is functioning properly. A good battery is required for this test. Before running the AC Adapter Test, HP recommends verifying that your computer can receive power by connecting a known working AC adapter.

Follow these steps to perform the AC Adapter Test.

• In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click an AC Adapter Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • The AC Adapter Test begins.
  • When the test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.

Battery Test:

Follow these steps to perform the Battery Test:

1. In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click Battery.
  2. Click Run once. The Battery Test begins.
  3. When the battery test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen. For additional battery information, click Battery Details.

If the test passes, continue with these steps:

1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.

2. Expand batteries.

3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.

4. Shut down the computer. 

5. Disconnect the charger.

6. Remove the battery.

7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.

8. Insert the battery only.

9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.