Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-GW0000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few weeks ago, i bought a laptop for online school and to play some games. I chose GW0000 since it was good enough for what i needed. At the website we ordered it from, it said the laptop had 256gb of storage, but when it arrived and after installing the OS, it said i only have 100gb on C drive. It said in the storage files that the OS took up 150gb, but after a few days it cleared up and it matched my current storage. When i open Hp support assistant it says that my laptop has 238 GB of storage. My question is, do i have less storage than i am supposed to, or maybe 256gb is upgradable from the base 100? Sorry if it is a stupid question, i don't know much about laptops honestly. Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You didn't install the operating system correctly, and somehow you have an entire partition (partition 5) that is not available to you.

Right click on partition 5 (Raw), select Format, and format it with the NTFS file system and you will reclaim 138.36 GB  of your missing space.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to calculate the net usable space with a formula.

A 256 GB hard drive will never provide the full 256 GB of storage.

See this chart...

How can I calculate hard drive space? (for Windows, MacOS)? - Details of an answer | Buffalo Inc. (b...

HP Recommended

I understand that much, on the HP assistant it says it has 238gb, the problem is that i only have 100gb of storage usable on the C drive, and there really are no drives available. Even when i do a storage check it only checks those on the C drive. I'm not sure if the other part is supposed to be upgradable or i was supposed to have it with my laptop but i just dont, or is it hidden or somethinf like that. As i mentioned im not well informed about laptops or pcs in general. Thank you for your reply tho! If maybe you have an answer or need more detail please feel free to say it!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Windows would have taken up some storage space, but it shouldn't have used 100 GB.

Have you installed anything other than the basic Windows operating system?

Is there a Windows.old folder showing up on the C:\ drive from a previous installation?

HP Recommended

No, i havent found a windows.old on my c drive. This is how my This pc and hp assistant look like. The assistant clearly says 238 gb, so i really do not know why do i only have 100 gb. I did install some apps on it, so im not concerned about why i only have 37 out of this 100, but where did the ohther 138gb go?Screenshot (4).pngimage_2021-10-11_015938.png

HP Recommended

What does your Disk Management Utility indicate? 

It almost sounds to me like you have part of the drive not initialized.

Here is a screenshot of mine...I have a 1 TB hard drive and all kinds of programs and files on it, and as you can see, I have over 742 GB of free space left.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1633910900469.png

HP Recommended

I haven't seen that, I'm having trouble finding disk management utility, could you tell me how to find it?

HP Recommended

I managed to find it, is this it? What can i do with it?image_2021-10-11_022641.png

HP Recommended

You didn't install the operating system correctly, and somehow you have an entire partition (partition 5) that is not available to you.

Right click on partition 5 (Raw), select Format, and format it with the NTFS file system and you will reclaim 138.36 GB  of your missing space.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help! I did as you said and i formatted it to NTFS. One last question, i cant seem to find the reclaimed storage, do you maybe know how could i do that? Sorry for bothering you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.