09-16-2011 07:41 PM - edited 09-16-2011 07:43 PM
My laptop is making a clicking noise and I think it's coming from the hard drive. I uploaded audio of the clicking to: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15528211/Memo.m4a. Is this a normal sound or an indication of a problem? Thanks in adance.
HP Pavilion G6-1b70us - Purchased 2 days ago from Office Max
09-17-2011 06:55 AM
That is a hard drive clicking. It sounds kind of intermittent like it might be just the hard drive safety system parking the read head on the drive. Do you get a sustained click when you try to boot up? Have you tried the hard drive health test in the BIOS? Just tap F10 as you power up and go into the setup/bios and look for the hard drive self-test and run the long form version and see what you get.
Here is the Service Manual, which is always a good thing to have:
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code
- HP Notebook PCs - How to Power Reset your Laptop
- HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)
- HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting No LED Lights Glow During Startup or Boot