cancel
HPStayAway Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 0
Message 11 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My laptop "Pavilion dv 6000" wont turn on at all!

My HP DV 6000  - has been a disaster from the beginning. It's been dead since February. I've already spent so much money on it and months waiting. I have purchased another motherboard and it still won't work or even turn on. This all started when HP suggested I renew the BIOS. It never "woke up" again.

EVERY SINGLE TECHNICIAN AND REPAIR SHOP I go to say "It's typical of HP DV 6000 Series" - There are loads of them at repair shops!!! With the same problem BGA Chip ( ? )....

WHY WON'T  HP acknowlege it's a horrible MBoard they use ??????   Why don't they acknowlege that thousands of laptops of this series are having problems?????

This has turned out to be the most expensive laptop I've ever owned - and it doesn't even turn on. And what's worse... HP knows this most probably and won't do a thing about it. If you're outside the USA - then, forget about it altogether - HP won't even talk to you!

Please, everyone, STAY AWAY FROM HP Laptops!!!!

0 Kudos
HPStayAway Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 0
Message 12 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP DV 6000  - has been a disaster from the beginning. It's been dead since February. I've already spent so much money on it and months waiting. I have purchased another motherboard and it still won't work or even turn on. This all started when HP suggested I renew the BIOS. It never "woke up" again.

EVERY SINGLE TECHNICIAN AND REPAIR SHOP I go to say "It's typical of HP DV 6000 Series" - There are loads of them at repair shops!!! With the same problem BGA Chip ( ? )....

WHY WON'T  HP acknowlege it's a horrible MBoard they use ??????   Why don't they acknowlege that thousands of laptops of this series are having problems?????

This has turned out to be the most expensive laptop I've ever owned - and it doesn't even turn on. And what's worse... HP knows this most probably and won't do a thing about it. If you're outside the USA - then, forget about it altogether - HP won't even talk to you!

Please, everyone, STAY AWAY FROM HP Laptops!!!!

0 Kudos
Oracles Tutor
Tutor
13 13 0 0
Message 13 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know exactly what you mean, my sister got a dv2000 for school in December 2007. After just a few months, the wifi died. Then it stopped showing any signs of life except the blue LED's near the power socket, and above the keyboard as well as the cd-rom. I suspect this is a motherboard issue. This really sucks because it was pretty expensive to begin with and now hp isn't being helpful since they sold her faulty hardware.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
scuzz419 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 14 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue on my Pavillion dv9500!!  Unfortunately it's not on the list of models that are effected by the NVidia/Motherboard issue, which means HP wants $400 to fix their own faulty POS!  Very disappointed as I spent a lot for this laptop and it starting giving me problem after 1 year.  I will never buy an HP product again.

0 Kudos
HPStayAway Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 0
Message 15 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NO ONE SHOULD EVER BUY HP LAPTOPS AGAIN! They suck big time.

0 Kudos
Wildcat1972 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 16 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok I should have learned my lesson from the first HP DV5000 that I owned, but NO I purchased a new HP DV6000 Special Edition thinking it would be a better quality product NOT! It shut down and now it will not boot up. It turns on a few seconds and then it shuts back down, it will do this about 5 or 6 times, I hear the fan and the CD drive kicking in but then NADA! My warranty has expired, which I did not have any issues until it did. I took it and had a new NVidia chip installed because it did the same thing it's doing now and that is what they said the issue was.  I started doing  research only to discover it is a motherboard issue!! I am not sinking anymore money into this thing and having something else go wrong again. 

HP Should stand behind their products. I know I will not stand behind them again.....I am going to purchase a Toshiba or Dell from now on. I had a Toshiba Satellite laptop for over 7 years and not one issue. 

0 Kudos
rmoody2011 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 17 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If any of you guys are kind of tech savy and have faith in removing your motherboard you can always try reflowing the motherboard in the oven. If your motherboards dead anyways what do you have to lose.

1. preheat oven to 385

2. place tin foil on a baking sheet

3. remove CMOSS battery (very important or it will blow up)

4. place 4 balls of tin under the motherboard on each corner so that heat can flow underneath it.

5. stack 5 quarters on

6 place in the over for about 8-9 minutes

7. after 8-9 minutes leave the MB in the oven and crack the door to the first opening point, let the mb and oven cool to room temperature before removing cause if you remove it from the heat too soon it could cause the solder to crack again.

here is a video to give you a general idea, this does work a large percentage of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G65-ncBxdHA

0 Kudos
cljonez Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 18 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just wanted to say that I had a problem with my Pavillion dv6 not turning on after I had closed it one evening.  It was working perfectly and then nothing!  A computer friend of my son's looked at it and he was able to fix it pretty quickly.  Seems that (if I can remember this correctly) there is a certain amount of memory on these things and in reality, there is more than stated and in looking at that part the computer friend found that there was a space in the memory that wasn't functioning so he eliminated that part and my computer has been working great ever since.  Seemed like an easy fix if you know to look at the space on the computer.  I doubt if I said all that correctly but it's been a year since all that happened.  Back up computers are also nice to have!

Good luck to you all that have had a problem with the black screen and trying everything you can to start it back up.  Thank goodness for great computer friends for sure.

0 Kudos
cecccilbrrrty Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 19 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

{Content Removed: Language Filter Evasion} cannot believe this im  amazed,my HP lap top went on the blink 4 days ago,,,aim livening on SS and retired,,i have talk to 5 different repair people on looking at this pice of junk 14 mos old now,,,it will not power up--im out of options,,,guess ill start saving up 300 plus dollars and ship it off for repaire,,,,,but then i was board and looking around on my dauhers desk top today--and saw this site----turn it upside down and push button for 30 sec-----yea right -----well my 11 yr old granddaughter good not resist it and had to do it----well guess what it worked----{Content Removed: Language Filter Evasion}----im going take her fishing tomorrow-----it works-- 

0 Kudos
Gary_HP Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 20 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Give me a shout if you get any solutions , mines is the same unfortunatley 😞

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation