Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpettway1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 31 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My laptop "Pavilion dv 6000" wont turn on at all!

I came back from a weekend of traveling to find what seemed like a dead computer. I plugged in the charger and continued to try and turn it on, nothing. I removed the external battery tried the "30 sec hold power button then plug it back in trick" still nothing. I've allowed it to sit on the charger for hours and it still won't come on. When I press the power button there is no response from the computer at all except for the little light by the charger plug and the light indicating the computer is charging (the little electricity bolt).
0 Kudos
juicer Tutor
Tutor
20 16 0 2
Message 32 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you read through the entire post you will find my "solution" in 12-2011. There is another mention of dismantling your laptop and cooking it in the oven but if you aren't that daring, my solution copied below is safe and you won't burn your fingers.

"Well, I've had the problem for a while and was just looking around to see if anyone has had any success stories.

I will tell you how I get mine up and running, but first some background. I was gifted this computer DOA and asked to retrieve data which I was able to do but in monkeying around, I discovered a "fix".

You see, I live in an area where we occassionally lose power for a day or two or three so the weakened battery never outlasts the outage. That's when the unit becomes unstartable.

Now the fix:
It is a variation of all the other suggestions about undoing the power cord and disconnecting the battery but here's the twist: After removing the battery and power cord, wrap your laptop in one then another plastic shopping bag and place it in the freezer for about an hour or two. Now, when you take out your shivering laptop, plug in the power cord and fire her up. It has nearly always started for me after this trial by cold but once or twice it needed more chillin'. Once it is started, insert the battery. I've never had any issues with this sequence.

You will have a lot of condensate on the screen but gently wipe it up with an absorbent cloth and let the rest of air dry as you let it run.

As long as I leave the computer plugged in and not reliant on the battery, it has never died on me.

Hope this helps!"

At least you can retrieve your data if that is a primary conern.

Please post back if you are successful. As of late, the laptop has been OK even after being off the power cord for a while.

0 Kudos
mpettway1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 33 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay I will try it out, I just unplugged it, removed the battery, and placed it into a garbage bag. I will leave it in the freezer for a few hours and see if it will work.
0 Kudos
juicer Tutor
Tutor
20 16 0 2
Message 34 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mpettway1,
Any success using the trial by cold method??
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kashd Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 35 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

first of all it started showing blue screen, on and off , thouhgt it was something okay.. after that its just wont come on again .... yet when u plug the charger to AC source .. it show that power is goin through to the motherboard.. have use the same charger on another hp .. and it works...... i just dont get....it.. any help pls...
0 Kudos
Stell Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 36 of 36
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could anyone help me.  My dv6000 laptop just will not turn one at all.  Just a little flicker from one of them blue lights.

Thank you, it would really mean a lot to me.

Stella

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation