Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - PRODUCT#W0Q62AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I currently have HDD on my HP Envy laptop which is extremely slow. I am planning on upgrading the HDD to SSD based, preferably m2.ssd pcie for better performance, but I am not sure if the mother board supports this, as I cannot find the specifications anywhere. In addition I am wondering if the memory could be upgraded to 16 GB as well. The product# is W0Q62AV. Appreciate if anyone could throw some light on the install process, and the windows upgrade process itself. In addition, what makes/models of SSD, and Memory works best?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook's model series.

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05219344

It supports either SATA or NVMe M.2 SSD's.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory/SSD report for your notebook's model series.

They offer compatible memory and SSD's.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP-Compaq/envy-15-(models-15-as100-through-15-as199)

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I don't see a slot to install install M2.SSD PCIE though. I do see the slot for adding the memory.IMG_2325.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

If you look at your screenshot, above the right half of the battery, you will see the slot.

Right above that funky looking 'E' in CE.

A couple inches to the right of the slot, you can see the standoff in the black rectangle where you batten down the SSD after you insert it into the slot.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I installed into the indicated spot, there were no screw to fasten it, so I left it as is. Is that ok? How do I verify it uses PCIE not SATA?

HP Recommended

Hi:

The screw holds it down to make for a secure connection in the slot.

I don't know if it is a good idea to not have the screw securing the drive down but if it's working, I guess it is OK.

If you installed a NVMe M.2 SSD then it is not SATA.

You can install some free utility to measure the read/write speed.

SATA would be around a max of 650 Read and 630 write.

NVMe would be much faster read...probably at least 3x faster.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.