Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-5010nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, please help, because i am already getting mad of this problem.

I've bought used HP Omen (15-5010nr. i7-4710hq, 860m 2gb, 8gb ddr3) without SSD and now trying to find any SSD drive that will compatible with this device.
Scenario is always the same:
If i press F9 - there is no SSD drive (both legacy and UEFI boot mode, secure boot disabled, but already tried with enabled too)
After clean installation from USB-drive (made in Windows Media Creation tool) there is no OS boot manager or something else that will "say" that SSD is visible in BIOS. 
I've booted from USB-HDD with installed WindowsToGo on it - there i can see my SSD, even can use it as well (read,write,copy etc), but i can't use it as native OS bootable device, because when i plugged out all USB drives - BIOS tells me that there is no bootable device. Hard drive scan (HP Bios utility) doesn't find any connected devices.

Since this notebook have only 1 slot for Hard Drive (and it is M2, omg) - i just can't use it as far as i want. 
Now i have Kingston A1000M8/240Gb drive that is fully compatible with HP Omen 15-5000 series notebooks.

Waiting for your answer and solutuion, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer, but i've already found it )

The problem is in uncompatibility older Omens with NVMe SSD-drives. 
Tried Samsung PM951 and Kingston SA1000M8 (240 and 256gb) - not working at all.

Anyway i found the way how to make those guys working - booted from DUET bootloader and activate NVMe driver. But it is not good soluiton since you need always have a usb-flash with DUET-bootloader plugged-in :C

So, i just swapped NVMe Kingstion with SSD SATA Kingston = and all works fine without any troubles, but the speed... Speed is 2 times lower than NVMe. 

WAITING FOR FIX AND UPDATE BIOS THAT WILL BE SUPPORT NVMe DRIVES, HEWLETT-PACKARD GUYS!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would say that it is a compatibility issue with the SSD. These newer SSDs have known to give problems with older models which had the first PCIe drives on the market. I believe that series came with the Samsung PM951 so that is what I would try. Even the Samsung 970 has given compatibility issues with earlier generation Intel Core systems.

You could also use a slower modern SATA3 drive such as the Samsung 860 Evo which is bound to work.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer, but i've already found it )

The problem is in uncompatibility older Omens with NVMe SSD-drives. 
Tried Samsung PM951 and Kingston SA1000M8 (240 and 256gb) - not working at all.

Anyway i found the way how to make those guys working - booted from DUET bootloader and activate NVMe driver. But it is not good soluiton since you need always have a usb-flash with DUET-bootloader plugged-in :C

So, i just swapped NVMe Kingstion with SSD SATA Kingston = and all works fine without any troubles, but the speed... Speed is 2 times lower than NVMe. 

WAITING FOR FIX AND UPDATE BIOS THAT WILL BE SUPPORT NVMe DRIVES, HEWLETT-PACKARD GUYS!

HP Recommended

Glad you found your solution. Sounds kind of familiar 🙂

All the best,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.