Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 14-cf0098ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My touchpad has stopped working and until I unplugged it it was giving me the BSOD with a stop code of PNP watchdog watchdog error.  Need a replacement one.  Any ideas?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@DixieChick66 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with the touchpad.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

First, restart the computer and tap on F10 during restart, once on BIOS screen, move the mouse cursor around to check if it works normally, 

If it does, it would confirm a software issue and you follow the below steps if it doesn't work on its a hardware failure and I would suggest a touchpad replacement. 

I recommend you to uninstall any generic synaptic drivers showing up for the touchpad (if available) under hidden devices from the device manager: 

• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt. 

• At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER: 

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 

• Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER: 

start devmgmt.msc 

• Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager. 
    NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer. 

• When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager. 

• Type exit at the command prompt. 

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices. 

And then download a new version of the synaptic drivers using this link: Click here  

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.