Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion gaming 15cx0056wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had my hdd go out on me. Completely unfixable. Went through countless measures to recover but no luck. Soooo I'm going to purchase an ssd or two. I cant find much on here as far as whats the best one to buy that would work with my 16 month old laptop. I want to do name and 2.5 I think. Im not completely cpu illiterate but at the same time I have no idea what im doing in this case. Please advise to what this gaming 15cx0056wm will hold, what is the best route (1 or 2 ssds, 2.5 or nvme etc)

What is the best bang for my buck, etc. Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the Crucial memory/SSD report for your model.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-gaming-15-cx0056wm

Compatible 2.5", M.2 SATA and NVMe SSD's are listed after the memory upgrade kits.

The 2.5" MX SSD's offer better read/write speeds than the BX models do.

NVMe M.2 SSD's offer better read/write speeds than the SATA M.2 SSD's do.

You can install one 2.5" SSD by removing the current hard drive.

You can install one M.2 NVMe or SATA SSD.

Below is the link to the service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05985643

HP Recommended

Ok thank you so much for the assistance. I did see where I could run two ssds at the same time. Is that the case? I did notice you said nvme or 2.5.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you can run a 2.5" SATA SSD (which I would suggest you use for storage), and you can install a M.2 NVMe SSD where you can install W10 and your programs.

Or you could just buy a 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD, and forego the 2.5" drive altogether.

You don't have to run two.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.