Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre model 15ap012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My power cord/adapter has just broken and I need a new one. I am getting conflicting info on what to get. It should be replacement part #845846-850, and I know I can order this one although it looks bigger than what came with my spectre, but I can't find it locally. The specs on my cord are: 45 watt; Input: 100-240~1.4A, 50-60Hz; Output: 19.5 V=2.31A. I have read in a couple of places that I could use a 65 watt HP cord/adapter (Output 19.5 V=3.33A) which of course I can find locally, but somehow this doesn't seem correct. Can someone verify this? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This HP page https://store.hp.com/us/en/cv/batteryfinder?jumpid=ma_accy_featured_na_6_180805 says HP 65W Slim with USB AC Adapter and HP 65W Smart AC Adapter are compatible.

These are 65 watt adapters and I still am getting conflicting info from HP if they harm my computer. See next reply,

HP Recommended

I have spoken to HP two separate times now and was once told not to use a 65 watt charger, it would damage the computer. So I did more research, found the link (reply 2) for what HP says to get for my computer (65 watt adapters), felt more confused so phoned again. The second time I was told yes it is listed as a charger you can use, but they weren't sure initially if it would work or damage my computer, so in the end they said yes it will work but there is a possibility it would harm my computer in the long run. This is all stiff very iffy. Both people I talked to were very quick to want me to order something from them.

I have also found this on HP https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-supplies-for-Spectre-13-... which makes it sound like Chris HP Employee recommends using the 90 watt adapter for the person needing one to work for a 45 watt and 90 watt Spectre.

I need much more info and reassurance first, does anyone have any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.